Thread: Bentley

sonstar

Red face Bentley

I have been trying to trace my grandads family tree - i have information my grandad and his mother. But i am struggling with the dad.

I know his name was Jesse Bentley and at one point around 1911 he was a toll and turner in Bootle, Liverpool. He lived 256 Stanley Road in Bootle.

This is as far as i have got with the Bentley line so far.

I have also been told about his brother - Robert Bentley who ran/owned a wool mill in bradford area. So have a lead there too!!!

Hopefully someone out there has the same family tree!!!

Geoffers

Hello - sadly no connecction, but.......

Quote Originally Posted by sonstar
    I have been trying to trace my grandads family tree - i have information my grandad and his mother. But i am struggling with the dad. I know his name was Jesse Bentley and at one point around 1911 he was a toll and turner in Bootle, Liverpool. He lived 256 Stanley Road in Bootle.
    It depends what you are trying to find out, personally I think it best to build up a basic picture of parents, siblings; try and work back to census returns - then with an overall picture you can start to try and build up details of individuals.

So, From your message you know your grandfather's name - do you have his marriage and birth certificates? If you don't know how to look for them and where to apply for copies, please ask.

Do these certificates take you back to the 1901 census and can you identify your family on that census?

With the period just before WW1, did anyone join the armed forces in that conflict?

Have you tried looking for wills - do you know where to look?

sonstar

thank you for your help.

Well i know his name is Jesse Bentley
    iknow he married in 1907 ive ordered marriage certificate for them.
    I know he lived in bootle with his wife - amelia rosetta stockley around 1907 and they split when my grandad was about 7 - so 1930.

i then know that Amelia Rosetta Stockley remarried to a george shillington.

and i know jesse bentley died around 1940 when grandad was at war.

I have found census records to show a "jesse bentley" was born in 1881 baildon, a kind person with access to 1911 street directories told me that in 1911 jesse bentley lived 256 stanley road, above a shop call "toll and tailer drapers" and he was a manager.

On the census records for 1901 it also states this jesse bentley was 20 yrs old and was a drapers assistant.

So its all tying in.

Just need to wait for the certificates i suppose!!!

boohoo haha

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sonstar
    Well i know his name is Jesse Bentley
    iknow he married in 1907 ive ordered marriage certificate for them.
    Good, that should provide vital evidence to help your research

and i know jesse bentley died around 1940 when grandad was at war.
    GRO Death Index search 1939-1943
    1939 Jun - BENTLEY, Jessie - age 53 - Northwich Vol 8a Page 353
    1940 Jun - BENTLEY Jessie L J - age 73 - Camberwell Vol 1d Page 1014
    1942 Dec - BENTLEY Jesse - age 61 - Liverpool N Vol 8b Page 325

You might try searching the Probate Calendar on microfilm (You should find it at the Millennium Library in Norwich) - if he left a will you should be able to confirm if the last one is the correct entry as the calendar normally provides sufficient detail to identify individuals. The age fits in with..........

I have found census records to show a "jesse bentley" was born in 1881 baildon

On the census records for 1901 it also states this jesse bentley was 20 yrs old and was a drapers assistant.
    There is a match in 1891 for this at RG12/3530 f109 p17 9, John Street, Baildon - Jessie BENTLEY aged 10, bn Baildon, BUT..............

Just need to wait for the certificates i suppose!!!
    Precisely, it shouldn't take too long and then you'll have some confirmation so that you can follow the correct line.

sonstar

Thank you so much for your help Geoffers!!! thats great - yeah i think we can safely say that this is the right chap!! shame the street directories dont give ages haha!!!

sonstar

Red face jesse bentley

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    it shouldn't take too long and then you'll have some confirmation so that you can follow the correct line.
    Thanks your help with this...

I recieved the birth certificate and it confirmed that Jesse Bentley married Amelia Rosetta Stockley and confirmed his last known address in Liverpool - in the fairfield area where they got married.

Also that his father is William Bentley and her father as William Stockley and jesse was a drapers assistant at the time

Woohoo!!