Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    MarkJ

I learned the language in lessons from a Cornish Bard. Some Cornish is still in common use here anyway - place names and "local" terms for things such as "murgy" or "morgy" for a dogfish (literally Sea Dog).
    The way we say certain phrases - although in English - harks back to the Cornish langauge way of speaking. Sticking "you" on the end of a sentence or "do" in the middle of a phrase - e.g We do go shopping on Wednesdays or Mind that door you! That is very much how the Cornish language would put the words.

It is quite a growing language again - I know there are a fair few Cornish speakers in Australia now as well as here in the UK. I wouldn't claim to be an expert by any means, but I can hold a basic conversation in the language and find it quite interesting when I visit my daughter in Cardiff to see and read things in Welsh. A fair amount is very similar and I can make sense out of much of the reading material I have come across (although some is a complete mystery!).

Mark

BradinAustralia

Default CHEGWIDDEN

Hi Mark

Yes, I am overseas at the moment and don't have my records with me but can remember that Sabina Chegwidden married William Williams. Sabina from memory was from Morgan on Menaege.

I might be some months before I get home, although I do think I have uploaded a version to Ancestry.

Do any of those names mean anything? There is a post here of mine that should have more detail.

Cheers

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Hi Brenda Yep - spot on for my name

Brad - Do you have Chegwiddens in your tree? I have some in my ancestors and live just down the lane from a Chegwidden family. I would agree with the derivation given by Brenda - Chy, meaning house and Gwynn meaning white. In a lot of early records, the name is Chegwyn or other variations which are closer to the original words.

Mark

MarkJ

I don't think that rings a bell with me Brad - my lot were from the Crantock/Cubert area near Newquay. But I will have a look at your old post and see if I can find any connection.

Edit: Had a look - Constantine and Crowan are probably a bit far for my lot to be connected I suspect. My closest so far is Kenwyn, which is Truro. But Constantine is not too far from Truro and by sea it would be a simple sail up the Fal...

Mark

CanadianCousin

Brenda,

Thank you so much for finding that information on my families' names. Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Technically the word Chy, which is found in a lot of places in Cornwall is pronounced almost like chee , but usually most folks pronounce it as shy - unless they speak Cornish.
    Mark,

My grandfather's house in Truro was called 'Chybean' - I used to know what that meant, but it was many, many years ago. Could you translate, please?

Thanks,

Tim

MarkJ

Little House Tim I think. Chy= House and Bean is a corruption of Byghan, meaning small.
    It is often seen spelled with a V (vean) (the language uses "mutations" a lot as other Celtic languages do)

Mark

CanadianCousin

Thanks Mark!

Tim

racing girl

Hello Tim
    You're welcome! Let me know if you have more queries.

Brenda

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Brenda

thanks for info on my name "Cornish" confirms really means born in Cornwall

sandie

LadyGodiva

Hi, Brenda, I have an ancestor who came to the US during (probably) the 18th century--his name was John Mullis and allegedly he came from either Cornwall or Devon.

Can you find a record of the surname "Mullis" anywhere and confirm if it's Cornish or not? Many thanks in advance!!

P.S. Mark--awesome that you've learned Cornish! I had no idea there were any Cornish-speakers left, it's great to know that the language--like Welsh--is on the rebound!

MarkJ

Hopefully Brenda will be able to say if Mullis is Cornish or not - but it is certainly a name I have come across around the Bodmin area.

There are around a couple of thousand Cornish speakers I believe - most in Cornwall, but some in the USA, Australia and several other places around the globe.
    It did really die out in the 18th century, but has gradually begun to return a little. One of my friends writes poetry in Cornish (and English). I can't see the language reaching the levels which Welsh has done at the moment, although the language is taught in quite a large number of schools in Cornwall now as a "lunch club" type extra-curricular lesson. At least one school teaches to the standard required for what is called "First Grade" Cornish - approximately equivalent to the old "O" level/CSE standard.

Oll an gwella!

Mark

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast