yelkcub

Default Henry Page - baptism Charlwood area c. 1790

I have posted a query before about my ancestor HENRY PAGE - I hope it's not a breach of group etiquette to make a related (but different) request for information and advice ... if it is, I apologise.

Henry Page, according to the 1851 census, was born in Charlwood, Surrey. His age was recorded as 61, so he was born around 1790. Surrey History Centre consulted the Charlwood baptism register for me, but they did not find him between 1785 and 1790. I am wondering whether there were chapels or other churches in the Charlwood area where he might have been christened.

Looking at the map, Charlwood's nearest neighbours seem to be Horley, Newdigate and Leigh. Are there other places I should be taking into consideration? And are the baptismal records of these places available on CD, can anyone tell me?

Any advice on how to find the elusive 'Enry would be most welcome!
    Ian in Cornwall

Jane M

Ian, You can cross Newdigate off your list, he's not there.
    To my knowledge there isn't a CD with these baptism's but the East Surrey History Society has some publications & there's a link to the West Surrey History Society as well with their publications https://www.eastsurreyfhs.org.uk/

Don't forget there's a possibility he wasn't baptised (for whatever reason) or baptised as an adult or small child after his alledged birth date,

Jane

yelkcub

Default Henry Page

Thank you very much, Jane, for looking at the Newdigate baptisms for me, which will help me narrow my search. Apparently the West Surrey FHS plan to bring out sometime in the future a CD of baptisms which may include Charlwood's neighbouring parishes. In addition to the possibilities you suggest, there is always the chance that, though he may have been born in Charlwood, he may have been baptised (if at all) somewhere else entirely. It was quite common for a woman to return to her own mother's home to give birth - I have come across that scenario before in my research. Henry Page's first child was baptised in London in 1810 - young father! - so it is possible his parents were fairly long-time residents of London. And looking for a baptism in London ... enough said.
    Thanks again for your help, and best wishes from Cornwall
    Ian

Jane M

You can always order the fiche from the Surrey History Centre providing, of course you have access to a reader. If there's an LDS centre near you they can probably order the film containing the parishes you want. Some parish register transcripts are also available from the East Surrey FHS.
    I hope you find the elusive 'Enry!

Jane