ColinR

Smile William Baker in India

Looking for help, I am trying to locate William Baker he served in the British Army in India and also married there, then left and went to the UK where he married again, seems he did not divorce the first wife in India, time line is abt1910-1930 his second marriage was to Catherine Johnson in 1942 in London. Sorry I don't have more to go on.

Thank's Colin

Procat

Hi Colin,

When you say you are trying to locate him what information are you after? Birth, parents, siblings etc or something else?

ColinR

Default William Baker

Hi Doug

Well what I was looking for was his service record and or his first marriage in India. Birth record I may be able to find once I have found the other information.

Regards Colin

ColinR

Default William Baker

I have since found out that he was a Captain in the army during this time.

Regards Colin

tedbeard

Default William Baker

Hi Colin, I came across this site that may be of help to you regards your mans time in India https://www.fibis.org/

Ted Beard

ColinR

Default William Baker in India

Thanks Ted looks very good will do some research.

Regards Colin

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ColinR
    Well what I was looking for was his service record and or his first marriage in India. Birth record I may be able to find once I have found the other information. I have since found out that he was a Captain in the army during this time.
    One of the simplest ways of tracing a career of an army officer is via the Army List. You may possibly find a partial run of this in a lrger reference library or record office.

This link will give information on how to obtain a service record

Did he have any children by his first marriage? Do the birth certificates show his rank and regiment?

Do you have a copy of his 1942 marriage certificate? If so, was he still serving and does this record his rank and regiment?

From any other information you have, you may be able to identify his commission and promotions in the London Gazette

seems he did not divorce the first wife in India
    If you think there was a divorce and it was before 1938 try searching TNA's catalogue

In the word or phrase field, enter - William BAKER
    Year range - restrict this to what is known, but add some leeway
    Department or series code, enter - J77

There are a lot of William BAKERs, but if you know his first wife's name you may be able to identify the entry.

tedbeard

Default Wiiliam Baker in India

Colin, Another site I've come across whilst looking for info about an ancestor in the Indian Service is this
    https://www.templeready.com/eng/Libra...olumns=*,180,0

it is a spin off from the LDS webpages, if you can get to a research centre, they have them all around the world, you should be able to access their Microfilm/fiche.

Sorry it is such a long winded link !!

Ted

ColinR

Hello Geoffers

I will give you all I have to offer I know that he was in the army in India I know he was married before the one in 1942 I know he had 2 children in previous marriage I don't know the names of the children or the wife I am not even sure about his birth date as he was estranged from his children and very hard to get information out of when he was alive.His second marriage he had 4 children all of which know very little about him hence why I am here.So any lead I will follow up on and as you said there are many William Bakers.

Regards Colin

ColinR

I have more
    He was a Tobacco salesman in India after he left the service.He was a Major in the army,maybe born in Folkstone then moved to Hatfield.Was in WW1 and WW2 was in France in WW1.If I find more I will put it up.

Regards Colin