erinnacap

Default CAPTAIN JOHN HULLOCK b.1799

John Hullock was born about 1799; place unknown. He was a captain in the merchant service in the 1830's living in British India and possibly with the East India Company. He married Mary Codling in 1829 in Calcutta and they had three sons, William, Philip and Charles, all born in Calcutta. They also had a daughter, Charlotte. His wife died in 1836 and is buried in South Park St Burial Ground, Calcutta. The three sons were sent to a London school about 1840 and never returned to India. Charlotte, as far as is known, remained in British India and was married.
    Any suggestions on how to find more information on these people would be most welcome. Thanks everone.

Reputation beyond repute

1. Five children shown on monument to Mary.

2. Is this your man remarrying?

Name: Charlotte COX
    Event type: Marriage
    Start date: 21 Aug
    Start year: 1839
    End date:
    End year:
    Spouse: John HULLOCK, wid., mariner

3. Another son?

Name: John Brunswick HULLOCK
    Event type: Birth
    Date: 18 May
    Year: 1841
    Parents: John, Master Mariner; Charlotte

https://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/

erinnacap

Thanks for responding. John Hullock did re-marry in 1839 and he had a son with Charlotte Cox. I'm attempting to trace John Hullock's birth and death. Also the maiden names of his two wives who both appear to have been widows when he married them. As far as we know it was only his first three sons who returned to England.

Reputation beyond repute

So far as I know the online India Office data is only scratching the surface. The repository itself would be well worth visiting.

The Society of Genealogists is worth a visit en route. They have "a good run of the East India Register and the Indian Army List and other material, including many copies of monumental inscriptions. An extensive card index of British people in India including many marriages there, compiled by the late Col. H K Percy Smith is to be found in the Upper Library. The collection is described in Sources for Anglo-Indian genealogy in the library of the Society of Genealogists by N C Taylor (1990)".

erinnacap

Many thanks, most interesting and I'll head off down that route. Sad thing is that I've spent a life at sea and been to Calcutta many times but didn't find out about John Hullock etc in British India until I had retired. Now I can,t afford a trip to Calcutta. Regards.

Reputation beyond repute

Many of us have gained fresh insight into Murphy's law since taking up genealogy

Sharon House

Smile I am ancestor of Cptn John Hullock

Hi hope this information is of some use to you.
    Cpt John Hullock married Mary Codling and had sons:
    William Luscombe Hullock 1830;
    Phillip Clark Hullock b25.08.1831;
    Charles Tyzack Hullock 9.05.1833 and daughter Charlotte Emily hullock.
    John later married Charlotte cox and had son John Brunswick Hullock aboard Donna Pascor in Bombay.
    Captain Hullock died in command of Barque "Pheobe" in a typhoon on the China seas in 1846.
    Charlotte Hullock married my gggrandfather WilliamMacpherson in 1854.

John Hullock descends also from the french glass makers the "tyzack" family

Hope this helps!