Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home Creighton's Avatar

Post Charles LAING C.1811

I am looking for any information on the LAING family c.1800, reputidly from the Guildford, Surrey area. All I have to go on as a lead, is from the 1851 census where Charles LAING gives his place of birth as Gilford, Surrey.
    Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

On IGI there is a birth of Charles Robert Laing, 1 April 1810, in Merrow, Surrey. This is close to Guildford.

parents Godfrey LANGHELT, Sarah Pritchards Grant
    did they anglicize the name? It is a submitted record but it ties in with your other thread searching for his daughter, Emma Harriet Laing, Charles also called his son Godfrey C.

GRO marriage, may or may not be relevant
    Dec 1856 Charles Robert Langhelt, on the same page a Harriet Roalfe
    Last edited by Mona; 12-08-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: addition

Thank you Mona, this is fascinating!!
    The 1851 census shows Charles LAING and Ann ROALFE as married with 2 children. The 1st child is Catherine LAING but she was born out of wedlock as her birth certificate is testimony. The 2nd child, Godfrey, has the father declared on the birth certificate. There is a 3rd child, Emma Harriet bc.1859, but I can find no birth certificate reference.
    Interestingly, there is a sister, Harriet ROALFE aged 18 (Ann's sister). I am going to guess that perhaps Charles and Ann NEVER married, hence my not being able to find a marriage certificate. I also now guess that Charles also HAD the sister, and did get to marry her! Rather bold guess I know, but it seems probable!
    I am grateful for your input and will now have a rummage to see what documentation I can find (if any) to back this up.

Reputation beyond repute

Mona pointed out that what she found was a submitted entry. I would suggest that the priority task should be to check the parish register to determine whether there's any truth in the IGI entry.

Thank you Peter, you are quite correct. I shall establish which church in Merrow was the most likely (if more than one). I will have to visit the local records office too which I guess will be in Guildford. It is only about an hours drive from where I am so as I have a week off next week, I know where I shall be going for a day out! .

Thank you both for your input, much appreciated.

bumblebee

Following on from Mona's great findings, there is this 1861 census.

St Gregory by St Paul, London

Charles Langhelt 51 born Guildford, Surrey, Warehouseman
    Harriett Langhelt 28 born Canterbury, Kent.

RG9; Piece: 220; Folio: 193; Page: 20;

The ages of this couple and birth places are strikingly similar to the 1851, do you think he never married Ann and ran off with the sister. Anne Laing still says she is married in 1861 although no sign of a husband on the census.

Same couple in 1871 Class: RG10; Piece: 526; Folio: 12; Page: 19; and in 1881 Class: RG11; Piece: 368; Folio: 101; Page: 33

Bumblebee

Bumblebee, I have just come across that same census entry. This, along with other 'snippets', has enabled me to paint a rudimentary picture of this 'family'.

So, here goes my take on all this.

Godfrey LANGHELT (b.1779) married Sarah Pritchards GRANT at St. John the Evangelist Church, Merrow, Guildford, Surrey. They had at least one child named Charles Robert LAING. (Why the changed surname I don't know).
    He surfaces again in the 1851 census, where he is living as a married man with 'wife' Anne, daughter Catherine and Anne's sister, Harriet. Ann and Harriet are from the Northgate area of Canterbury in Kent.
    The daughter Catherine (born 12 Jan 1845) was obviously illegitimate as her name is recorded as Catherine Langhalts, no father's name given and mother is Ann ROALFE.
    Godfrey Charles LAING is born 7 Nov 1852 (no mention on the 1851 census), and Charles LAING is named as the father on the birth certificate.
    I have not found any marriage record for these two yet!
    What happens during the next 10 years is a mystery because according to the 1861 census Ann is now living alone with the 3 children and no Charles!
    BUT......... Charles has apparantly married Harriet ROALFE (Anne's sister) about Dec 1856. They both appear in the 1861 census as a married couple, and no children.

So.......make of all that what you will........my ancestors !!

Marie C..

Default Charles Laingc 1811

Godfrey and Sarah had another child besides Charles Robert(christened Apl 1st. 18100
    She was Martha christened 23 June 1805.
    Marie

Default Charles LANGHELT b.1810

Having done some more research (mainly through the batch records of IGI), I thought I would offer some more information in case anyone else should happen to do a search on this branch of the family.

Prior to the lascivious lifestyle of my Charles LANGHALT / LAING, it transpires he came from the sleepy hamlet of Merrow, just outside Guildford, in the Surrey Hills.

His father Godfrey LANGHELT (bc.1779) married Sarah Pritchard(s) GRANT at St.John's church in Merrow. They had 5 children (that I can find).
    Martha LANGHELT - bap.23 Jun 1805 - Merrow
    Sophia LANGHELT - bap.21 Feb 1808 - Merrow
    Charles Robert LANGHELT - bap.01 Apr 1810 - Merrow
    Godfrey LANGHELT - b.01 Jul 1812 bap.30 May 1813 - Stoke Next Guildford
    Henry Samuel LANGHELT - b.22 Apr 1815 bap.13 Aug 1815 - Stoke Next Guildford

I am grateful to all of you who gave me some 'pointers' here and I have managed to progress this part of the tree which has been 'stuck' for nearly 10 years.

Famous for offering help & advice

did you find this death?
    Mar 1887, Langhelt, Charles Robert, age 78, Holborn, 1b, 538

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast