Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    websterbfc

Default copyright of website images

I have today found my website images, that are photographs taken by my friend Karen, have been taken and turned into a youtube film, which has in turn been posted on the youtube submitters website.

Each of the photos on the website clearly state that there is a copyright on them.

Karen has sent a message to the submitter saying if they would like permission to use them to contact us if not please remove. I have also checked out youtubes copyright policy. Is there anything else we can do? and how can we protect ourselves form this in future?

If I were you I shoud contact YouTube, explain the copyright breach and ask that they remove the submissions.

We had a similar problem with someone selling copies of one of our CDs (as well as those of other publishers) on eBay. As well as asking eBay to take action (which they did) we received help from the Trading Standards Department of the council where the person lived - the upshot was that he closed down.

Trading Standards may not be able to help in your case (as it is not a commercial matter) but I'm sure your local Citizen's Advice Bureau will be able to provide advice.

Graham

Whoops, forgot to say how to protect yourself in future. You could try including some Javascript to disable the right mouse click which allows people to Save Picture As....

Copy and paste the code below within the head section of your pages. It doesn't work on all browsers but does on most common ones.

Graham

<script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    //script to protect images from theft
    function click()
    {if (event.button==2)
    {
    alert('All images are protected by Copyright.')
    }
    }document.onmousedown=click
    // -->
    </script>

<script language=JavaScript>
    <!--
    function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
    function clickNS(e) {if (document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!docum ent.all))
    {if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}} if (document.layers)
    {document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document. onmousedown=clickNS;}
    else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontext menu=clickIE;}
    document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
    // -->
    </script>

pipsqueak

Another solution is to imprint the copyright on the photo - it mars the picture, somewhat but it's effective. The real question is why this person would want to make a Buckhurst Hill church slideshow and why they didn't go and take their own photos!

Guy Etchells

I know this is probably not what you wish to read but-
    Does it really matter?

Yes I can understand being annoyed when someone copies an image you display on the web, but has it caused you or your friend any loss?

Why not take the other view and consider it a complement that someone has thought the images worth turning into a slideshow?

You or rather your friend has not actually lost anything, she still has the photos and the images on the website so why worry?

Graham has given useful information as to what action is easiest to take but quite honestly I feel that it will cause you and your friend less trouble and heartache by just forgetting about the slideshow.

Thanks for sharing the images with the world
    Cheers
    Guy

Astoria

Default Hi Webbie

If I had gone to the trouble of creating a web site ( as if I could ) I would be very miffed if someone nicked it. Though imitation is the best form of flattery.

pipsqueak

I agree, but perhaps the photographer is a professional (or aspires to be) so infringement of copyright then becomes of some consequence. We all have the right to claim copyright to our own images, but there are millions of copyright-free images out there, so why take the ones that are copyright?

My own view is that if someone takes my images to use in a pleasant and positive way, that's fine. If I were to find that someone had doctored and/or used them for something horrible, I'd be very upset. (Someone once swiped a photo of me from a website, added an ugly head to the body and used it as their avatar just because they had taken a dislike to the person they perceived me to be online. It was very upsetting.)

Mary Anne

You could post a comment under their Youtube video to the effect that "...these images belong to...and are beign used without permission."

Too bad they haven't even got enough grammar to know that the plural of "Church" is "Churches"...

Unfortunately, once anything is on the Internet, it really is as if you posted it yourself on a billboard, so you shouldn't be too surprised that someone has nicked it. At least they have used it for a benign product.

Just curiosity on my part, but looking at the website and the Youtube video, I wonder if this person isn't a student working on a class project? In which case, a short lesson on copyright might not be a bad thing! Have you tried contacting them?

Mary Anne

CanCan

Not sure if I can or should post web page link, but the company is *** ****. If you put *** **** into google ,they are the first link.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 01-08-2008 at 1:54 PM. Reason: remove name of company alleged to be in breach of copyright - we don't want to advertise them here

Peter_uk_can

Can Can. I wouldn't worry too much about the company. If their photo work is as bad as their English..... ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast