RachelW

Default searching for William Ellis

Hi

I am trying to locate WILLIAM ELLIS prior to 1851 when he was a coastguard stationed at Shellness, Kent. He was born in Cornwall, as was his wife Catherine and their children were born in Flushing (Elizabeth 1830), Falmouth (Margaret 1833) and Ireland (Susan 1939). This last makes me think he may have been posted to Ireland and hence not in the English 1841 census. Any help would be hugely appreciated

thanks
    Rachel

busyglen

Hallo Rachel,

Try this site which has information of Coastguards in Ireland

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org

Good luck.

Glenys

RachelW

Thanks Glenys - no luck!!

MarkJ

The Coastguard bit on GenUKI confirms your details regarding the stationing in 1851, as well as the places of birth etc. Sadly, no details about where he was in 1841.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/D-E.html

As you say, Susan being born in 1839 in "Ireland" does suggest he was stationed there for a while...

Sorry I can't be more help.

Mark

busyglen

Rachel,

I tried a search on the National Archives for William, and produced 9 hits. I don't know if any of these are your William, but worth a try, as Coastguard/Navy records are held there.

I typed in the advanced search, William Ellis, Coastguard, (dates) 1800 - 1850.

If he is one of these you can obtain his record, which will show you where he was during his service.

Good luck !

Glenys

RachelW

Glenys - Thanks again - I have requested a couple that look likely - here's hoping

Rachel

busyglen

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Glenys