Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    caliope

Hi Cathy,

You are very welcome. I know there is no Wellon at my local LDS and I don't remember seeing South Moulton either. Just for fun, I took a look on the LDS website FamilySearch and found a Henry Dennis born 20 Oct 1789 in Willand Devon. His parents were George and Deborah Dennis. Could this be him?

Regards,
    Caliope

cedennis

Smile Dennis Family

Hi Caliope,
    You are so kind. You may be on the right track with Henry's birth. Family oral history says that they lived in South Molton. Buzzing around the internet I have found a West Welland (Willand could be a miss spelling of this) in the Parish of South Molton. The family were cattle farmers and it looks as tho the region was a great cattle farming area and had a cattle market in the town too, so you may well have found the right one, if you have a chance or inclination could you see if there is any more information about Henry, his possible father George and mother Deborah? If George is Henry's father, in theory he could possibly have been born in Waterford, Ireland as that is the story. I am still puzzled about the connection with the Parfitt family, there must have been some involvement for the Dennis' to have taken the name as a middle name. Did I tell you that there was a Euphemia Parfitt living next door in the 1841 census?
    Thanks again, are you really in Ontario?
    Best wishes
    Cathy

edeigan

Dear caliope,

I saw a post on here from you that you could do lookups from the Sampford Arundel records before 1837. I have an ancestor named Elias Potter, who I believe was born in Sampford Arundel around 1775. Are you able to find any records related to him in the Sampford Arundel records? I appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Where do you live in Ontario? I grew up in the suburbs of Toronto, and lived a number of different places in Ontario, but now live in North Carolina.

Best regards,
    Eric

dhelensmith

Hi Ron
    a really late reply but I think Grace Manning could have married George Woolcot at St David's,Exeter on 18 June 1810, I have many Culmstock relatives from that time and many of them married in Exeter.(source - find my past Devon marriages transcripts.) I keep meeting Mannings and Andrews as witnesses etc in wills, my family was the Churlys of Culmstock and Uffculme.I have found it - John Churly, minister of gospel , will written 27 June 1766, appointed Richard Clarke of Halberton and Richard Manning of Culmstock as trustees and executors along with his wife,Elizabeth.
    Cheers Helen

Ron Leech

Hi Helen

Many thanks for the reply, this is a tantalizing family. My Grace Manning definitely married George Taylor in London in 1804 and she is listed as a spinster. It is possible that Grace didn't come from Culmstock, all I know is that she was not born in Middlesex (1841 census). Sadly she died in 1844. But there is an early connection with Culmstock within the family. My Culmstock people are Andrews, Fry and Manning.

Ron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123