Frank W

Default Plus ca change....

... the worse it gets!

Orange ISP are about to change their Webspace and Web site access/design arrangements as from July 28th.

The "Sitebuilder" and "FTP My Site" facilities will apparently be replaced by a new Web Site Builder from Magix.

Anyone who has constructed non-standard websites using the FTP My Site scheme may need to consider what to do, to prolong the life of their sites.

It appears that only standard web page templates will be available, with some degree of modification possible, and that there may be only limited facilities to migrate existing sites to the new system.

Its worth searching on Google for "Free Webspace" to see what's available.

My own cendexes site hosted by Orange/Wanadoo was already proving difficult to access for updating and is now superseded by one on Tiscali.
    Another version is being set up on Lycos Tripod, in case Tiscali springs a leak later.

Regards........Frank W

Hi Frank
    I think it is a case of if it isn't broken, let break it

I must say that free site options are available and can be easier to access. I'm with BT and they have changed their web storage but left the old ones alone.

gibo

Cool Free space

Hi guys,
    I use free web space at "www.110mb.com" and dont think you can go past it.
    It does presume you already have your html files in order though and only gives basic file editing options. I use it by creating my web pages offline with other products e.g. like Frontpage and TSW Webcoder. Good luck with it!

Frank W

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    I think it is a case of if it isn't broken, let break it
    Quote Originally Posted by gibo;180871
    I use free web space at [URL="https://www.110mb.com/"
    www.110mb.com[/URL] and dont think you can go past it.
    I
    It seems that many 'commercial' organisations now have a self-destruct department. HM Govt were early enthusiasts when they let loose Dr Beeching on the UK Railway system.

With 5 sites hosted on Orange, (1 re-homed, and 4 orphaned) I'm sampling alternative free webspace providers. At present one site is rehomed on Tiscali, with a trial mirror site on Lycos Tripod, both accessible via Tiscali Broadband for updating.

I saw 110mb.com mentioned on another Forum and will try that also. It appears to allow up to 5 free sites, but I have'nt read all the T&C small print yet. (Must get a larger notebook for all these new passwords and usernames, etc!)