CLIVEAnjean

Default The Wing Boys. Concert Party

Hi
    I am researching my great Uncle, Frederick Burrluck. He joined the Army during WW1 but was later found out that he was underage. He ended up in a hospital for one reason or another as a patient. Cerdic Hardwicke, for those who don't know who was later to became Sir Cedric Hardwicke a well known actor in his day and father of Edward Hardwicke who played Dr Watson in Sherlock HolmesAdventures in the 70's series, Cedric asked my Great Uncle if he would like to join him as he was getting together a few people for the concert party. My Great Uncle joined up and learnt to play the Saxaphone. I wondered if anyone out there had anyone that was in the same group, The Wing Boys or if anybody knows what regiment that would have came under as all I got on his medal card is Queens R. I can not seem to track is service records. They may not exsist anymore.
    Any help would be very much apprieciated
    Angie B.

Jan1954

Hello, I have found this:

East Suffolk Gazette 12 March 1918
    WAR BONDS WEEK
    Advertisers and the East Suffolk Gazette thanked for their advertisements.

Two first class concerts were held. The Glamorgan String Band played. Miss Gladys Riches sang
    “The Valley of Laughter”, Violin solos with Piano accompaniment of Mendelssohn by two Private
    soldiers, In the evening the Public Hall was packed for the “Wing Boys” Concert, many people
    unable to gain admission. The final section was “an absolute scream”.
    Aeroplanes circled over Beccles on Friday afternoon and again on Saturday and dropped leaflets
    asking the people to buy War Bonds.

CLIVEAnjean

Default Wing Boys

Hi Jan
    Thank you for that information. It is nice to know that they were popular.
    Can you tell me where i can get a copy of that piece of newpaper clipping.
    thanks again
    Angie B.

Jan1954

Hello Angie,

I found the reference courtesy of google. However, as you now have the name of the newspaper and the date, the Suffolk Record Office should be able to help.

Good luck,

leamington

The Wing Boys seems to be a play on words. "The Bing Boys", translated by the army into "The Byng Boys" after the commander of Third Army, was a popular West End production in 1917-18.

CLIVEAnjean

Default Wing Boys

Thank you for your replys.
    As for the Suffolk Gazette. I have contacted Lowestoft branch of the Suffolk Council and they have found it for me. I will be purchasing a copy Monday. Thank you.
    The information about the play on words of The Wing Boys. Is this your asumtion or is this a written fact. I do not quiet understand what you are saying. My apologies if I sound ignorant.
    Angie B.

leamington

No problem, Angie.

There was a very popular play running in the West End, titled "The Bing Boys are here". If you were home on leave and anywhere near London, chances are you'd go to see it. It included a song which became famous, "If you were the only girl in the world".

Doesn't take too much imagination for a military concert party to dub itself the Wing Boys.