Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MarkJ

Cheers Sue
    Your code is pretty much what I would expect to see. Glens is using some sort of album tool (which I assume is a Front Page thing) and it hasn't quite got it right I think. I imagine it is only a case of locating the place where the images really are and then putting the correct paths in.
    Images can be funny - it looks fine on your PC, but unless you get the correct path once it is uploaded, things go awry!

I will PM you the site details for Glen - I think she has gone off to have a rest from all the website building!

Mark

Glenys
    I also use FrontPage 2003, Shout if you need my help as well as Sue's.

MarkJ

I have already dropped you into the conversation Neil

I will PM you Glens website addy so you can have a look at the code too

Mark

Peter_uk_can

I use FP and build all the pages directly on the "Normal" option.

I use Core FTP, a freebie FTP program to upload the pages.

The website is hosted for free by our internet provider (Shaw) and there are no adverts.

I also run the site on the Free Bravenet server, where this is adverts. It's like having another webbased backup and I can make changes and view them on there from any computer where as with the provider one I have to connect via Shaw.

I use a couple of "click" and "change" features on a few of the photographs, but avoid too many bells and whistles.

The website runs with a genealogy database compiled on Legacy, saved to my computer and uploaded via FTP to the website.

The website was started in 2005 and is updated throught the year.

Discipline in storing photographs is essential, they have to be in the same named folder for both creating the website and when it is uploaded

MarkJ

I think - and Neil agrees - that the issue is a path one. Once Glen is around tomorrow, I will see if we can get the photos into the correct place so they show

She has used an app called photogallery which I understand is something in FP. But, the problem seems to be just a path one. I suspect the photos are either not uploaded or are not in the correct place for the code to load them.

As you say Peter - it is vital to have the photos in the right place or they won't load.
    I use a php tool called Coppermine myself for online photo albums but the same applies - correct locations or no show! Of course, with the Coppermine album, other joys - such as my MySQL database playing up - add to the problems!

Mark

Mark sent me the URL and I had a look, though when I look at HTML code I start going cross-eyed.

Looking just at the Properties for each photo you seem to have everything in one long path. Technically this should work, but you have to have everything labelled exactly right. From past experience you also have to make sure that you don't have "My Documents" anywhere in the path, otherwise only your computer can find the file!!

On my site I have a separate index page for the Photographs, with Photoraphs also being the name of a sub folder. Thus, for example, if you had a separate folder for photogaphs and called your Photo Gallery home page photo_gallery/index.htm then when you click the Hyperlink to your photo, assuming said photo is in the same folder on your computer, all you need to write in the Address box is
    photo1234 (or whatever you have called it)

Then just upload the whole folder in one fell swoop.

Does this make sense?
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Peter_uk_can

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    I think - and Neil agrees - that the issue is a path one. Once Glen is around tomorrow, I will see if we can get the photos into the correct place so they show

She has used an app called photogallery which I understand is something in FP. But, the problem seems to be just a path one. I suspect the photos are either not uploaded or are not in the correct place for the code to load them.

As you say Peter - it is vital to have the photos in the right place or they won't load.
    I use a php tool called Coppermine myself for online photo albums but the same applies - correct locations or no show! Of course, with the Coppermine album, other joys - such as my MySQL database playing up - add to the problems!

Mark
    All my photos are in a folder on the computer, so the folder I am using to create the page is the same folder that is sent to the server.

busyglen

Thanks everyone for your input. If I was still on the old version of FP I don't think I would have had a problem. It's this darned 2003 version that is causing me the hassle. It tells me one thing and does another! I've only got about 15 mins left to spare at the moment, so will give you some more info in case it helps.

For a start, I have very little code on my actual page when it leaves my pc...it is only inundated with code when it is uploaded, (not least the whole mass of coding by A*).

I have: the usual start codes including the background etc. etc. and the only other coding showing is: (I hope I don't include something I shouldn't)
    *--webbot bot=*PhotoAlbum*U-Include=*photogallery/Photo00005637/real.htm*

There is only the usual closing tags and link to home page etc. So...I have no idea where all of this other coding comes from. I tried uploading the folder which contains the photos, and that didn't work. I also uploaded the *real* file..that didn't work either. Those files are automatically added when I import pictures etc into the page.

I think I will scrub the whole page and start again, and just add the photos in my own way, rather than use FP for this. I only need to upload the images separately then (providing FP lets me)!!

Will be back later this afternoon, if anyone has any other ideas. I appreciate all of your time and advice.

Many thanks

Glenys

busyglen

Just a quick addition....although I am still a novice in this website lark, I do understand the necessity to have the file containing the photo to be in the same place as the webpage, (I learnt this on my last site when trying to add an image) but I have been thrown by the fact that FP tells me (in the manual) that the picture and and thumbnail will be uploaded with the page. Once I have added them to the page of course! So why doesn't it? It's something to do with the real. files which only appear when you start to add the photos.

Oh well, back to cooking lunch....!

Glenys

Probably Mark and Neil can sort out your problems more easily Glenys, because they understand HTML, but I am a bit confused as to what you say about Front Page 2003. I can't say I've noticed any of these extra things you talk about, and part of the reason I use it is that I can write the pages without viewing or writing a single piece of HTML code - just as if I am producing a document in Word. I have it set to Design (bottom left) and only see HTML if I click on Code. Even clicking on code for my pages I don't see this 'webbot' anywhere at all
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast