bfyoung

Default Death certificate search

Searching for death certificate for

James Avery, b. abt 1798, Barnstaple, Devon Middlesex
    Wife: Eliza, b abt 1798, Middlesex
    Death estimate: sometime after 1871 census which states he was widowed and living with daughter, Amelia Ann Day, in Gillingham, Kent.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by bfyoung
    Searching for death certificate for

James Avery, b. abt 1798, Barnstaple, Devon Middlesex
    This bit is slightly confusing. Devon and Middlesex are two different places. If he was born Barnstaple, then this is Devon

Death estimate: sometime after 1871 census which states he was widowed and living with daughter, Amelia Ann Day, in Gillingham, Kent.
    To avoid trying things you may have checked yourself, have you tried searching freebmd, and also worked through the full GRO index?

Does your chap definitely not appear in the 1881 census?

bjelkier

Only James of the right age that I could find between 1871 and 1881 was -
    James Avery [83] March Q.1880 W.Derby 8b : 421.

bfyoung

Geoffers,

You are quite right --- it should be Barnstaple, Devon. I don't know where the Middlesex came from. Since I am American, the contradiction did not jump out at me until you pointed it out.

I have checked out bmd on A******y and also IGI with no success.

bfyoung

bjelkier:

I also found that bmd death index on A******y, but haven't ordered that certificate yet because the birth dates are off by about 4 years. I know the birth dates can be off by up to 5 years, but I thought I'd wait and exhaust all other possibilities first.

I have ordered so many certificates for people who were not my ancestors, and it's discouraging to wait 2 weeks to get them and find out they aren't right. I may end up ordering it eventually, though.

Thanks for the look-up. Any other suggestions?

Geoffers

I see that your chap was a retired tailor in 1871, as such he may have left a will, or if not admon may have been granted. The Probate calendar has been copied onto film and I understand can be seen at mormon church (LDS) record centres - it is easy to use, contains more detail than the GRO index and may help you to identify when your chap died so that you could order the correct certificate.

An alternative is the Index to Death Duty Registers, which is available on the pay-per-view site, findmypast, it provides less information than the Probate calendar, but still records name, residence (just the name of a town), executor(s) names - you might be lucky to find an entry recorded for Gillingham with his daughter as executor.

bjelkier

If he was born in 1798, the death in 1880 is only out by 1yr which could be accounted for by the exact months. However if you contact the local register office for a cert instead of the GRO [with as much info as poss] they don't use the GRO index - they will look for you [usually about 3yr span]and if they can't find it will refund your money. For Gillingham contact the Medway Office in Rochester.

bfyoung

bjelkier:

I live in U.S. so don't have access to local Parish offices, but have gone ahead and ordered from GRO the death certificate you mentioned.

I was looking at another GRO death index for James Avery that estimated his birth year at 1794 at age at death, 77, in Chelsea. That is the one that was off by 4 years of his birth date. Sorry for MY confusion!

Thanks for your help.