Thread: Spain 1809-1812

sparklypinkstar

Cool Spain 1809-1812

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can offer me some advice!

One of my ancestors (probably in an Irish regiment, although there's also the less-likely possibility of a Yorkshire regiment...) was in the military and was definitely in Spain around 1809-1812 as his eldest two daughters were born there. I suspect that he may have had a rank as he clearly brought his wife along; am I correct in thinking along these lines?

Is there anywhere I can find out which regiments would have been in Spain around this period; and also which regions of Spain they would have been posted around? I'd really love to find out more about this ancestor of mine and his family... I understand most of the records are in Kew so I'm sure I'll go and investigate sometime this summer - I just really want to find out as much as I possibly can first, and I really don't know where to begin!

Any assistance would be really appreciated - I've never really dealt with a military ancestor before, so all this is very new to me!

Thanks in advance,

Becky

Reputation beyond repute

Have you found the births in the military indexes (on findmypast and other places)? If listed, the regiment is usually included.

sparklypinkstar

Smile

No, I've looked previously but annoyingly haven't found them in the Indexes!

Becky

Geoffers

You don't mention his name, which might help us to look for you, so try searching TNA's catalogue
    In the word or phrase field, try just entering his surname to begin with
    Leave the dates blank
    In the department or series code, enter WO
    Then hit search.

See how many hits you get, if the surname is common, you may have to try again including his forename. Look for results which are prefixed either WO97 or WO121.

Do you have this chap, and/or his family in a census return? If so, what was his occupation? Where were any other children born?

Geoffers

Another thread created by the same person contains more detail - see the thread here but to avoid confusion, the other thread has been closed. Please just update this thread.