Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fiona67

Default Australian WW2 service records

Hi this a great site to find WW2 service records for Australian service men & women. I was wondering how I would find British WW2 records

https://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/name.asp#searchtabs

Regards
    Fiona

Procat

Hi Fiona,

That is a great link. Thanks for posting it.

For British records it is far more difficult as far as I can ascertain. See here and here.

ash33au

If anyone wants more comprehensive Aust WW2 service records, let me know. I go to the National Archives fairly often and have gotten heaps for myself already.

CanCan

Thank you for a great link. I have lots of family who went to Australia and this will be very useful.

Thank You Again

Michael

Procat

Hi Michael,

if they were in Australia pre WWI and served with the Australian Military you can view their service record on line here.

CanCan

Thanks Doug,

I do have that link and found it very useful.

Why can it not be the same in this country ?

Michael

Procat

Luck of the draw with government attitude I suspect.

We are really fortunate in this country with the National Archives.

I heard some time ago that the Australian WWII records are in progress of being digitised as well so I am hanging out for that.

CanCan

I have noticed that it is a lot easier to get info (even online) from Australia.

Most of my wife's relations are in victoria. One of them is very much into family history and she has helped me alot. She lives in the Toolern Vale area (whereever that is ! )

Michael

Procat

Just a little bit north of Melbourne. See here. Look to the top of the map and a tad left of center.

ash33au

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Luck of the draw with government attitude I suspect.

We are really fortunate in this country with the National Archives.

I heard some time ago that the Australian WWII records are in progress of being digitised as well so I am hanging out for that.
    There are actually a number available already. I have my grandfather's with photo's and have a number of others as well.

The reasons some records are not yet available is that they haven't been examined yet or contain sensitive information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast