Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sqool

Smile Cannot find birth record of great grandfather circa 1849

My great grandfather (on my mother's side) was George FITTON who (according to the census records) was born in 1849 in Prestwich.
    My mother (now 92) has told me some details about him & his family,
    George Fitton was a bricklayer.
    My great grandmother's name was Martha.
    Apart from my grandfather, Fred Fitton, there were five other sons:
    Robert Herbert Fitton, Frank Fitton, George Fitton, Harry Fitton & Albert Fitton.

From these facts, I've managed to find the 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 census records.
    Also working my mother's information & those census sheets, I was able to work out when he was married & to whom, & also when he was born (1849).
    I duly obtained a wedding certificate, which shows that George married Martha Lever
    in 1869 in Stand church, Stand (Whitefield, Bury)
    From George's wedding certificate, I also have the following facts:
    1] His father was ROBERT FITTON who's occupation was a gardener.
    2] At the time of his marriage, George was 20 years old (this puts him being born in 1849, as per the census records).
    3] He was living in Kirkhams & his occupation was a bricklayer.

In 1861 George would have been living at home with his parents, so the 1861 census should show him with his father Robert Fitton, & living in Kirkhams.
    An 1861 census record R.G.9/2856 shows a George B Fitton (Age 12) born in Prestwich with Robert Fitton (Age 40) Ag labourer who's residence is in Kirkhams, Pilkington, Whitefield. (Robert Fitton's age matches those on the 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 census records) Robert's wife is given as Mary. However there is a big age difference between George (Age 12) & his sister Harriot Fitton (Age 5), his brother Richard (Age 3) & sister Edith (6 months).
    This would suggest that Mary was perhaps not his mother, & that Robert had a previous wife who died?

An 1851 census sheet HO 107/2232 (courtesy of the Lancashire & Manchester FHS),
    shows the family living in Rooden Lane, Prestwich.
    George is shown as being 2 (years old) His father is Robert Fitton (Age 28) Ag labourer,
    but his mother is given as "Betty" (Age 25). So *this* would appear to be George's mother? (Always assuming I've got the right census record)

All the census records from 1851 to 1901 all show that George was born in Prestwich in 1849.
    However I cannot find any birth record of a George Fitton being born in Prestwich in 1849,
    who's father was Robert Fitton & mother either Betty/Elizabeth or Mary.

The reason I would like a copy of his birth certificate is to find out his father's name, my great,great grandfather.

I'd be very glad of any help to sort this out!

Geoff.

pipsqueak

Quote Originally Posted by sqool View Post
    Robert's wife is given as Mary. However there is a big age difference between George (Age 12) & his sister Harriot Fitton (Age 5), his brother Richard (Age 3) & sister Edith (6 months).
    This would suggest that Mary was perhaps not his mother, & that Robert had a previous wife who died?
    Don't discount the possiblility of infant births and deaths that might have occurred in between.

pipsqueak

Free BMD gives a George Fitton:

Births Jun 1849
    FITTON George Registered in Blackburn Vol: XXI Page: 36

I noticed that Prestwich doesn't appear as a seperate district until 1874.

Astoria

Default Is this your chap

Marriage: 17 Jul 1869 All Saints Parish, Stand, Lancashire, England
    George Fitton - 20 years Bricklayer Bachelor of Kirkhams
    Martha Lever - 20 years Weaver Spinster of Kirkhams
    Groom's Father: Robert Fitton
    Bride's Father: Andrew Lever, Gardener
    Witness: James Fitton; Betsey Lever, (X)
    Married by Banns by: Richard K. Corser, Curate
    Register: Marriages 1869-1880, Page 12, Entry 23
    Source: LDS Film 1751506

Astoria.

Astoria

Smile Would this tie in

Baptisms: 22 Apr 1821 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
    Robert Fitton - Child of John Fitton & Ann
    Born: 3 Feb 1821
    Abode: Prestwich
    Baptised by: Henry Fielding
    Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1821, Page 291, Entry 2321
    Source: LDS Film 2356182

Astoria.

Mahala

Hi Geoff:

It's also possible that George's birth wasn't registered, since it wasn't compulsory at that time.

My gt-gt-grandmother Emily (born ca1851) and her brother weren't registered even though seven other children in the family were, both before and after these two. I trolled through indexes and wrote to the Register Office, but there's no record of them. I don't know why - the family hadn't moved at the time - but I guess they had their reasons. Luckily Emily was baptised early in 1852 so I have that record for her parents' names.

Also, not all registrations made it to the GRO. Have you tried inquiring at the Register Office?
    Last edited by Mahala; 06-07-2008 at 3:41 PM. Reason: To add the last line.

sqool

Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak View Post
    Free BMD gives a George Fitton:

Births Jun 1849
    FITTON George Registered in Blackburn Vol: XXI Page: 36

I noticed that Prestwich doesn't appear as a seperate district until 1874.
    Yes, I know about that, but the census records clearly state Prestwich, which was in either the Oldham or Bury district at the time. Blackburn is in Lancashire, & about 30 miles away. According to what I know, all the family came from the Prestwich/Whitefield/Bury area.

sqool

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Baptisms: 22 Apr 1821 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
    Robert Fitton - Child of John Fitton & Ann
    Born: 3 Feb 1821
    Abode: Prestwich
    Baptised by: Henry Fielding
    Register: Baptisms 1813 - 1821, Page 291, Entry 2321
    Source: LDS Film 2356182

Astoria.
    That could be George's father, & I know that George is buried in the graveyard at St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich. As are quite a few members of the family (so I'm told). So, yes, it could tie in. Thanks. :-)

sqool

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mahala View Post
    Hi Geoff:

It's also possible that George's birth wasn't registered, since it wasn't compulsory at that time.

My gt-gt-grandmother Emily (born ca1851) and her brother weren't registered even though seven other children in the family were, both before and after these two. I trolled through indexes and wrote to the Register Office, but there's no record of them. I don't know why - the family hadn't moved at the time - but I guess they had their reasons. Luckily Emily was baptised early in 1852 so I have that record for her parents' names.

Also, not all registrations made it to the GRO. Have you tried inquiring at the Register Office?
    Hi, Mahala. Well that's most interesting.

I was under the impression that all BMD's had to be registered after 1837. So it's possible that he wasn't registered. As for inquiring at the Register Office, I thought you'd need to have a more accurate idea of the date than just knowing the year?

Mahala

I could be wrong, but I think birth registration became compulsory in 1875.

The Kent Register Office was very helpful for me. They looked at a period of about ten years and found registrations for the other children, but not Emily and Edmund.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast