Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Most likely reason is purely down to registrar not getting name right.........this has happened to me even today I get various spellings of my name...Pender, pander,,fender and so on.
    I had a look on 1901 census quite a few Weisbergs and a couple of weisbach but no Harris..........however most of the Weisbergs seem to have come from Russia
    however a Harris Weisberg married an Olga Pensius in 1907 January Quarter in Mile end ref 1c page 680 so you could send for marriage cert that will give you their fathers

sandie

ET in the USA

Thanks Sandi,

I don't think I had found the 1907 marriage yet. I'll order the cert. & see what it tells me.

As for the name being spelled various ways, in this case I think the change is intentional. The 1943 marriage cert. for Mervyn & Fay (AKA Fanny) clearly says
    "Fay Weisbach otherwise Fanny Weisberg & her father was shown as Harris Weisbach otherwise Weisberg - Carpenter (Journeyman). " Maybe Weisbach is less German looking to the average 1940 Brit ?? I say this because of the WW I & II dates & the name change seeming to be sometime between her 1913 birth & 1943 marriage. Probably never know.
    ET

be interested to know what marriage cert says...............did you also see birth for an Ephraim Weisberg in 1911 same parents as Fanny.

as for name change as you say guess we will never know...........both names are germananic in origin and Askenazi jewish.............they may even really be Weisbach and wrongly put down as weisberg when they first arrived..........guess its all supposition.

sandie

https://www.movinghere.org.uk/deliver...1083.2/0/1.pdf found this photo of a Phillip Weisberg timber & cabinet shop c 1920...........wonder if that could be the P Weisberg on your wedding cert?? sandie

https://www.movinghere.org.uk/deliver...99_309/0/1.pdf this is one for an Olga Weisbach see what you think

there is also a medal card for a Harris Weisberg serving in Royal Garrison Artillary in Ancestry do you have this?

ET in the USA

Sandie,

Amazing work.

I had seen birth for Ephraim [but do not have cert], but not medal card for Harris Weisberg. I have put it on my list for the next trip to the library where they have free An*.

Olga's exemption from internment is interesting. Perhaps Harris had died or didn't have to be exempted because he was either born in UK or had served in WWI ? I will research who was considered an 'Enemy Alien'.

Photo of Weisberg Timber merchant is interesting as it is related to trade of Harris - Carpenter (journeyman) in 1943 & Cabinetmaker in 1913.
    Free BMD has a birth for Phillip Weisberg in Mile End in 1882 & I think the man in the photo looks to be about 38-40 years old. There is another Phillip birth in Prestwich in 1897 which would make him 23 in 1920 ish & another Mile End 1906 - way too late to be man in photo. There is a Phillip marriage Sep 1908 Prestwich & a Phillip Birth in 1911 in Edmonton, which isn't the Prestwich Phillip born 1897, since he would be only 11. The Phillip born 1897 probably married in Prestwich in 1921 to 'Jacks'.

Thanks again. I'll make a note to PM you when I get Marriage Cert. of Harris & Olga.

Elaine

Starting to feel at home

Hi, You don't seem to of received my last post. Benjamin Lewis bn 1865 came to the UK from San Francisco when he was quite a young man, (For the love of me I cannnot think why!). What I don't know is whether the whole family came to the UK. He married Sarah Shafner in the 1890's in Leeds. What I need to clarify is the name of Benjamins father. Although on the marriage certificate it names his father as Leonard Lewis, on the San Francisco records his name is Emanuel. it's all very complicated! What I know for sure is that Benjamin was bn in san Francisco and that his family immigrated to the USA in the 1830's from Poland/Russia. Other family christian names are Cyril, Alec, Louis, (my father) & Adele, all of them are now deceased and all bn and lived in the UK. Cyril my Uncle was a stand-up comedian d.1976, (know as Robert Louis'The Tatler'). Alec, during WW2 worked at 'The Admiralty'. Louis was a commercial traveller, like his father.
    I hope this info is useful.
    Thanks Gilly

Hi Gilly

guess your other message didnt come through...........I see from 1880 US record that Emanuel, age 45 Pauline age 50 Mollie age 18 and Benjamin age 15.....Emanuel & Paulina given birthplace Poland............I dont have US ancestry so cant see anything else

so far can only find a Benjamin right age and birthplace in the 1901 census but his wife is called Bessie from London and they have a son called Cyril born Durham 1900...could benjamin have remarried?

am at work at present so will look in my books when I get home

I can see a marriage for a Benjamin Lewis & a Sarah Shafner in Leicestershire in 1899, so maybee bessie was her pet name.

sandie

Starting to feel at home

Hi Sandie,
    Benjamin Lewis & Sarah Shafner were married in Leicester in a Register Office in the district of Leicester and Cyril was bn in Co Durham 1899. For some reason Sarah changed her name to Cissie. They were in Dublin when my father was born 1902 and as both their names are on the birth certificate Benjamin & Cissie Lewis. No, Benjamin wasn't married twice. Cissie also had a stage name Blanche.....? she was a performer in 'The Old Time Musicals'. Uncle Cyril who was a stand up comedian and travelled the country saw a poster of my grandmother and wanted to buy it but the owner wasn't selling! he did give me her full theatrical name, but I can only remember the name Blanche.
    Thanks for your input, Sandie
    Gilly

Hi Gilly

one of the reasons Benjamin might have put his fathers name as Leonard was to make it seem more english............he didnt marry into Jewish faith did he?......who were the witnesses at the wedding?

I cant find any sign of any other family on the UK census..........it could be Benjamin came on his own............you need someone with access to USA records to do a search for rest of family.............try asking on the USA genealogy forum on here.

good luck sandie

Starting to feel at home

Hi Sandie, Yes, Benjamin married Cissie Shafner who was Jewish. Although, as far as I know they were not orthodox Jews, it was Alec Lewis their son who arranged the funeral 23rd June 1944 and decided to have them buried in a Jewish cemetery in East London, which I believe has recently closed down.
    In 1899 some USA records were destroyed in a fire. So I haven't managed to get hold of a birth certificate.

I have a copy of Emmanuel's 1891 USA Naturalization Citizenship request because he needed to obtain a passport.
    The intended country, I have no idea. But the mystery is that he travelled with his wife and a two year old child (daughter?) Jeanette, If he was bn in 1830's in 1891 he would have been about sixty and his wife, Paulina would have been well past child bearing age, so bit of a mystery really, unless he remarried of course!
    Regards Gilly

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast