Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    blueyeshorlicks

Dear Debbie, I also have a 3 greats Grandmother Mary Rothman who married George Humphrys (a Christian?) in St. James, Clerkenwell, on October 11 1823. I have their marriage Document, but I can't find any birth or death certificates. I also have my 2 greats grandfather's birth cert. George Josiah Humphrys 1826, with Mary and George as parents living in Baynes Row. This is the only information I have about her and I'd like to find more. I found a Richard Rothman in Westminster who could be her father?? On FamilySearch but can't find it again! Please help! Thank you
    Katy

Frank
    I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for you to to set up a new post with heading for Emannuel and Selina because these current threads involve many other researchers looking for their families. In response to your #191 there are some important points to consider. As you rightly say, the age difference between Selina Abrahams who is age 45 in the 1881 census and Samuel Solomons ( by the way I have noted on PO Directories - see Historical Directories online free University of Leicester data bases which cover periods of time and various parts of the country including London and Middlesex) that Solomons is later Solomon- who is 51 in 1881 is too close to be father and daughter. However, why would Emmanuel in the Old Bailey trial say that Samuel was his father in law and there is no response from Samuel to deny this. Is the relationship via a second marriage of Samuel and the link being via Selina and the first wife of Samuel? Or is it through Mary the wife of Samuel and her first marriage?This is all pure speculation but I am looking at all options. Is the term father in law an incorrect one but if so, why would Emmanuel use it. There has to be a close relationship of some sort because for a period of time Emmanuel was in partnership with Samuel.
    A lot to consider.
    Phillip

franksharp1

Good suggestion, Phillip. I will do that shortly.
    Frank

cathj888

Hi Debbie,
    I just wrote a message to Philip on another thread regarding Samuel Jacobs - details below - I believe Samuel Jacobs is my Great Grandfather - my Grandfather's name was Alfred Jacobs and my father's name is Peter Jacobs.
    I do not know anything about my father's paternal side of the family and any information you can give me about Samuel Jacobs is most appreciated.
    Thanks,

Catherine Jacobs

The marriage of Moses Jacobs to Sarah Levy ( GSM 164/39) August ?1815
    Moses Jacobs Descended from a priviliged member Moshe s of Tebi Hirsh
    Sarah Levy
    Sarah d of Simcha SGL

This line includes their children:
    Samuel Jacobs b 1817 d 8th April 1885 Coleridge St Christchurch NZ
    He married Fanny Gomm b 1830 d 1869; Emma Bristow b 1851 d 1907

Cath
    In response to your two posts Moses Jacobs married Sarah Levy and Samuel Jacobs married Fanny Gomm-
    First of all Debbie and I are 6th cousins removed via our Jacobs lines. Moses is a son of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses- they are my 4x great grandparents. There is significant data on the Jacobs lines via our Jacobs website set up by another cousin Dave Simpson. If you look on Jacobstree ( add the URL) you can see all the lines including Moses and Samuel with all the various data which there is a lot of. The data is very accurate because Dave has added primary sources based on all the research the various 'cousins' have done world wide. You will see our family surname which is Litzen ( also Letson). You will also see a main Family tree which includes the main Jacobs ( including myself and Debbie) who did the original research. Come back to me if you want added info if I can add anything new. Welcome to the Jacobs cousins.
    Phillip

cathj888

Hi Philip,
    Thanks for the very useful information - most appreciated.
    I will delve deeper and see what i find!
    Thanks again,

Cath

Cath
    Just in case you missed this data- not sure if Dave Simpson has updated the Jacobs tree website recently- look on Cemetery Scribes website for Henry Jacobs 1768-1865 Person ID 6319 and you will see a photograph of his tombstone plus the various links to his children and wife. You will also note that Kitty Moses his wife was born Keila b Moshe Cohen so the tribal name is Cohen not Moses. She is my 4x great grandmother. I can't locate her father or her death so far. There are other records of the families on Synagogue Scribes site and on Cemetry Scribes. As you will see from the Hebrew record for Henry's burial his Hebrew name is Hirsh b David Letson and his father David is David b Coppel Letson. As you will see from the various notes I wrote on the Jacobstree website I speculated the surname Letson was derived from Litzen in West Prussia but I have no proof of this but we do know from the Newgate records that David Jacobs was born in Germany ( could also mean Poland)
    Hope this helps.
    Phillip

tesahria

you mention that you may be able to help with some information regarding ?jewish ancestors. The name I want information regarding is Levitt (variation to spelling livett, levett) that I am aware of, Anywas I have a Eliza Jane Levitt who came to new-zealand with her sisters susan, letitia,and brothers and her father Henry on 'the zealander' ahe married Henry Walden and died in 1914, aged 76, Her father's name was Henry Levitt and mothers name was Ann They were mentioned on the census of 1851 in england.I would like any information on Ann Eliza's mother her maiden name and the name of her parents and henry levitts parents and where and if there is a connection back to israel. please - thanking you in anticipation - all the best for this new year.

messers

Default Levitt

What makes you think there is any connection to this family in Israel?

In the 1851 census & the ship's manifest, there should be a mention of Henry's wife. If not, it is possible she died before 1851.

Where did they live in England?

You can post these questions on the message lists on the site JewishGen.com. There is a message list (called Sig) for England and I think one for NZ too.

Quote Originally Posted by tesahria View Post
    you mention that you may be able to help with some information regarding ?jewish ancestors. The name I want information regarding is Levitt (variation to spelling livett, levett) that I am aware of, Anywas I have a Eliza Jane Levitt who came to new-zealand with her sisters susan, letitia,and brothers and her father Henry on 'the zealander' ahe married Henry Walden and died in 1914, aged 76, Her father's name was Henry Levitt and mothers name was Ann They were mentioned on the census of 1851 in england.I would like any information on Ann Eliza's mother her maiden name and the name of her parents and henry levitts parents and where and if there is a connection back to israel. please - thanking you in anticipation - all the best for this new year.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Debbie

I was wondering if it would be possible to get any information on my Jewish relatives. I have found the marriage of my 3x great grandparents on synagoguescribes.com and wondered if there was any way of getting any other information - eg parents, siblings or if there is any information on where in Poland they may have come from.

The information I have is that Barnet Coleman (Hebrew name Dov Behr and father's Hebrew name Kalonymus Kalman) marries Maria Isaacs (Hebrew name Merla and father's Hebrew name Jacob) in the Great Synagogue on 11 May 1830.
    Later census records show that Barnet came from Poland but I can't decipher where. Maria came from Whitechapel in Middlesex. Barnet dies between 1851 and 1861. Maria was in the Jewish Widows Asylum and the Widows Home Asylum prior to her death in 1889.
    Any information on them would be great.
    Thank you

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast