Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dead end

solsticedreamer

Default A dead end

I have come to such a dead end with part of my tree i am hoping someone here can help in some way

i am looking for the marriage of my great grandfather John Stanley Williams to Elizabeth Wilson (both I imagine born c. 1896 give or take) c.1913-15. my grandfather George Edward was born in Quebec, Lanchester, County Durham in 1916 and his brother Leonard in 1919.

My Dad is sure Elizabeth came from a local family although from my searches the only John Stanley Williams i have located, especially in the Lanchester area, were born in Wales and one from Ireland.
    i just dont know where to go from here

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you're saying that John and Elizabeth were born c1896 you're making them extremely young (about 17) to have married 1913-1915.
    Do you have death dates for them to confirm the c1896, or have you had a senior moment doing the maths?
    Also, are you looking for a marriage in Canada (as I presume from the Quebec that you don't mean County Durham England)?
    Sorry to be a bit dim but your post is slightly confusing as you say "My Dad is sure Elizabeth came from a local family" then talk about the Lanchester area, and you're located in Dorset.
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes
    Also, are you looking for a marriage in Canada (as I presume from the Quebec that you don't mean County Durham England)?
    Possibly the Quebec, just south east of Lanchester, Durham?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by solsticedreamer
    i am looking for the marriage of my great grandfather John Stanley Williams to Elizabeth Wilson (both I imagine born c. 1896 give or take) c.1913-15. my grandfather George Edward was born in Quebec, Lanchester, County Durham in 1916 and his brother Leonard in 1919.
    The GRO index has a marriage:

March quarter 1916
    WILLIAMS John S - Durham district, vol 10a page 687. Spouse's surname WILSON

A corresponding entry has
    WILSON, Elizabeth - Durham, vol. 10a page 687. Spouse's surname WILLIAMS.

(Do double check this to make sure that have not made an error)

Try ordering the certificate from the GRO
    This will hopefully give you their ages and fathers' names and occupations to help track them down in the 1901 census.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Possibly the Quebec, just south east of Lanchester, Durham?
    Whoops. Should have remembered that there's a Washington that way too.
    That'll teach me to assume.
    Now, where's me 'at gone?
    Pam

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Whoops. Should have remembered that there's a Washington that way too.
    That'll teach me to assume.
    Now, where's me 'at gone?
    Pam
    Pam - and I felt all alone in my confusion when I read the post. We learn something new every day. So I will share my hat with you!

solsticedreamer

first things first Pam (and others!) huge apologies for my confusing post~I seem to be having a lot of senior moments these days it didnt occur to me to clarify it was Quebec, Durham!
    I imagine you can tell I am new to this.

with regard to dates, if I do not have the correct ones I always allow for lower ages for marriage~I go with the idea that people married younger in times past, so generally use ages from 16 plus. i dont know if thats the right way to go?

Geoffers, thank you so much for the information you have provided~very interesting because I have a copy of my grandfathers birth certificate and he was born 29 February 1916.

once again thank you

Quote Originally Posted by solsticedreamer View Post
    first things first Pam (and others!) huge apologies for my confusing post~I seem to be having a lot of senior moments these days it didnt occur to me to clarify it was Quebec, Durham!
    No, it was me 'assuming' - which is what you're not supposed to do in family history. You did write County Durham, but as I know they have counties in the States, if not in Canada, and I'd never heard of Quebec in England I automatically thought 'Canada'.
    I imagine you can tell I am new to this.
    We all were one time. And I daren't think how many messages I've written and then either amended or wish I could have re-written, in spite of sometimes agonising over the wording for several hours.
    with regard to dates, if I do not have the correct ones I always allow for lower ages for marriage~I go with the idea that people married younger in times past, so generally use ages from 16 plus. i dont know if thats the right way to go?
    Best not to say born so-and-so if the only concrete knowledge you have of a couple is the birth dates of their children. Elizabeth could have been 30 and John 40 when they married, but you won't know for certain until you get the marriage certificate. Different if you know how old they were in a certain year, e.g. when they died.
    And certainly when you get back to pre-civil registration, and you're looking for baptisms then by all means start with the possibility of the bride and groom marrying from whatever-the-age-of-consent-was onwards.
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by solsticedreamer
    There are many similar problems of placenames which are unexpected, perhaps if Pam reads this, she might like to double check where to locate,

Egypt..........America.........and best of all, Purgatory

Like Pam, I would just stick to what is know, where a marriage is believed to have taken place (not all couples married), it could have done so over a number of years and possibly after the birth of one or more child, as quite possibly in this case...................

I have a copy of my grandfathers birth certificate and he was born 29 February 1916.
    Though the March Quarter 1916 covers marriages that took place in January, February and March - and possibly those that took place in the last weeks of December 1915

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    There are many similar problems of placenames which are unexpected, perhaps if Pam reads this, she might like to double check where to locate,

Egypt..........America.........and best of all, Purgatory
    Well next time you're staggering home from the pub make sure you take the correct turning else you might end up there.
    And I'm surprised that you omitted Canada from the list.
    Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast