MickyMutt

Default Elizabeth Strickland Year of Death

My Great Grand Aunt Elizabeth Strickland (nee Mutton) was an inmate of the Poplars Union workhouse in 1901 (UK Census). She was born in Illogan in 1835 but so far I have been unable to find any reference to her date of death. I have searched the FreeBDM Death index but no luck. Is there any other index I should be searching or does someone have access to an index they could look up please?

Mick
    Geelong, AU

Mutley

The nearest I can see on the Ancestry index is
    Elizabeth A Strickland born about 1832
    Death registerd in Dec 1911 at Wandsworth, London, Surrey.
    Age 79 years. 1d/657

bjelkier

I have checked the index on findmypast from 1901 - 1920 and the only other one that coincides with her age is in March 1917 [age 81] in Biggleswade.

MickyMutt

Default Elizabeth Strickland

Thanks for responses. Its got me thinking whether she did end up in Poplars Workhouse. The 1901 census actually showed her status as single (she was married) and her place of birth as Portsea (on the actual return) or Dorset (on the text version). Initially, when I saw Dorset I thought it was her as she was born in Pool, Illogan and records often show it as Poole, Dorset. I did see the Elizabeth A Strickland entry for 1911 but couldn't work out any connection between Wansdworth and Poplar so discounted it. Will mull on this for a while
    thanks Mick

MickyMutt

Default Finally found the real Elixabeth, I think

As with one of my other recent posts, I've learnt that if I don't tell the full story then I'm liable to send people off on wild goose chases. My Elizabeth Strickland's husband George was still living in Egham in 1901 when I thought Elizabeth was in the Poplar poor house. The census annotation for George's marital status I now conclude was an "M" that had been changed to "W". So by concentrating on a wider Surrey search rather than a Greater London search, I finally found a death for Elizabeth Strickland (b abt 1836) in 1898 which was registered at Windsor, Berkshire, Surrey. George's address in Egham is within the Windsor Registration district (just five miles south of Windsor) so I was confident enough to send off for a death certificate. Takes about 6 to 7 days to get delivered to Australia after ordering so it won't take long to establish that I've had a win. Mind you, I will list my few unwanted certificates one day that might save someone a few bob.

cheers
    Mick

Mutley

Well done, it often pays to broaden our horizons