Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

sorry for the delay in replying, I have sent off a couple of emails requesting info, one to Redhills to see if there are any records - pre 1940 elsewhere, and a general one to Annagh re Owen Kelly. Hopefully I will hear something but I won't hold my breath, I am beginning to think more and more perhaps a visit to Ireland at some time in the future may be the best and perhaps the only way forward. Many thanks to all who have helped. I will update when I hear something
    pejay

Hello all - after months of banging my head I paid for some research to be done. Unfortunately it was all negative results, so the brick awll remains.
    Still one day .....
    pejay

Hall/Swan

Default update

Sorry to hear that! Was driving through Cavan last week and saw sign for Redhill and was wondering how you got on.

Have you tried looking at 1911 census for any clues, the 1901 census will be online in summer.

If you just put in the Surname and the approx age you might come across something!

Only one Kelly in Redhill, a Mary Kelly, age 21 and only 1 Owen Kelly, age 40 in all of Co Cavan in 1911

https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ and just put in Kelly and Cavan, you MIGHT get somes clues. There were only 385 Kellys in Cavan, select 100 per page, then you'll see "Show All Information"

Something might click!

hello and many thanks for your reply. I am not sure if there were any relatives left in Co Cavan for the census. If he had some siblings that I knew of it would help me. Owen died 1897 in England, I will certainly look though see if I can find anything I am sure he did marry and all my Grandmother's siblings were registered it is just a question of finding them. I did look on Griffiths valuation and found a Thomas Kelly at Killoughter, but no evidence to suggest he may in some way be connected. Certainly none of my Grandmother's siblings were called Thomas. how infuential was the 'naming system' that was sometimes used. It does not appear to have been followed with my english ancestors
    pejay

Hall/Swan

https://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Annagh/320205/

seems to be the only possibility. Has anyone checked Annagh, Butlersbridge?

Could he be a sibling?

Forget about translating "vide" or "side" report inside... it's the report itself that matters rather than the translation. Is there an inside report to be had?

Hello and thanks for the reply - no unfortunately no report to be had, I have never heard of Butlersbridge, it could be a possibility, if only I had a few more names to go on it would help, I guess any siblings would be around that age
    pejay

Hall/Swan

Well if he's from Annagh then that's were you look. Find the parents of this guy and see if yours is a brother or not. Even your researchers should have looked here as your chap only went to Redhill, he wasn't from Redhill.

Hi, many thanks for replying - I am sorry at the risk of appearing totally stupid - how would I go about finding his parents? i really haven't a clue, do you think they would be in Griffith's valuation? and would I look for Butlersbridge? or Annagh I do not understand the townlands and parishes, they seem completely different to English Counties, perhaps I am just not used to them yet.
    pejay

Hall/Swan

Quote Originally Posted by pejay View Post
    Hi, many thanks for replying - I am sorry at the risk of appearing totally stupid - how would I go about finding his parents? i really haven't a clue, do you think they would be in Griffith's valuation? and would I look for Butlersbridge? or Annagh I do not understand the townlands and parishes, they seem completely different to English Counties, perhaps I am just not used to them yet.

Not stupid..Ireland doen't make things easy! Annagh would be a townland and in the parish of Butlersbridge. Your researchers SHOULD have looked here!

You would need to find out the father of this person on Census and then see if he had other children.

Now, to make things even worse..there are two Annagh townlands in Cavan but the other is in Kingscourt, other side of county, so this one would take priority. Griffiths won't really get you anything useful to connect anyone.

There's an email address here, maybe ask their advice on how to proceed? https://butlersbridgehistory.blogspot...at-annagh.html

You already have a birth year for yours so they might be able to look him up, you can work out a year for person on census and they might be able to look him up too and see if he's sibling and possibly look for other siblings. With the census the age is often inaccurate so allow for this. Obviously, you'd be willing to make a contribution if they were able to find records...don't send anything beforehand! Keep your email simple, just names, approx dates, townland!

Hello & thanks for reply. Yes I find Irish Genealogy very difficult, I have sent a simple and to the point email just now, they can only say no I guess, could you tell me what DED stands for ? I think it must be to do with Parishes but I'm not sure.
    pejay

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast