Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disappointment!

oxon57

Now that I'm back home, with time on my hands, I had another look at the Death Duty Register index.

In that 1893 entry, after Taunton, it says "OD/96". I have no idea what "OD" stands for, but, as we found the National Probate Calendar entry in 1896, "OD/96" is presumably some sort of cross reference to 1896, and if we look in the 1896 Death Duty Register index, we find that the entry is repeated. This time, the name is clearly "Francis", the "i" is dotted, but other details are the same, including this "OD/96" reference, not "OD/93", a cross reference back to 1893.

So, I *guess* that the thing to do here is, if you find a Death Duty Register index entry with "OD" and a later year indicated, look at that year in the National Probate Calendar. That could be worth remembering, but what it actually means I do not know.

caliope

Talking

Oxon57, you are wonderful! Thank you!

In my job, I often have to deal with seriously cranky people. Today was a typical day so you can imagine my delight when I read your messages. How kind of you to go to all of that trouble (unfortunately no stiff drink or therapy but a big hug from across the water)!

I shall write to York again with the information you've provided. It is annoying that they also didn't take a closer look at the COPY of the relevant page of the Death Duty Register index I sent along with my request. However, I am so happy right now that I have this information, it isn't even that bothersome.

Peter and Geoffers, thank you for your comments on the National Probate Calender. I will talk to the LDS about it next week. Being able to search the calender as Oxon57 did would be a godsend.

Geoffers

Caliope - when you do apply for a copy of the will - use only the detail kindly provided by Oxon that is the information under which the will is recorded and by which a copy will be produced.

oxon57

Caliope, I'm not wonderful - just a bad loser, I hate being defeated by the system - and you're welcome, it was no trouble at all, honestly. I am very fortunate in that, although I live in Cambridge, I work in Chelmsford, five minutes brisk walk from Essex Record Office, where there's no need to book a reader - as long as you have your reader's ticket, you can just stroll in and get on with it.

Essex stay open at lunchtime, open on Saturday (so if I'm working Saturday morning, I can pop in there for the afternoon), and have a late night on Monday, when the office functions as normal, so it's also possible to visit after work once a week.

Cambridge close for an hour at lunchtime, and do not open on Saturday. They do have a late night "by appointment" on Tuesday - but all original documents have to be ordered in advance, so if, on reading document (A), you find something that makes you realise you also need to look at document (B), you will have to wait until next time.

The staff at Cambridge are just as helpful as at Chelmsford - but if you are working you may never find that out, as the council seem to be determined to make it as difficult as possible for anyone who is working to visit the place!

caliope

Smile

I am writing to York tonight and will only mention the information provided by Oxon. Hopefully, they will get it right.

How envious I am of you good people in England who live so close to Record Offices where these things are available! As people abroad can attest, it is terribly difficult and tedious to get any information. As my LDS is only open one day a week to the public, I have to wait until that day to go in after work, pay for and order the film then wait 4-5 weeks for it to come in from Salt Lake. The information is then available to me for 4 weeks. I see from Oxon's message that I would have ordered the 1893 Probate Calender and not found my ancestor there.

I am planning a "genealogy vacation" sometime in the near future to Somerset and Devon to visit towns my ancestors lived in along with many many visits to Record Offices. I can't wait. My husband is somewhat less enthused.

Funny, Oxon, there is a Chelmsford close to where I live, of course named after the English original. Thank you again!

caliope

Talking Will received

Hello oxon57,

I received my gg grandfather's will in the mail. It didn't mention my g grandmother as I was hoping BUT it did confirm the addresses of two of his sons so I was able to find them on the censuses!

Thanks again for your kind help!

oxon57

Oh good, I'm glad you got it without any problems this time, and more than happy to have played a small part in it - it's not often that I manage to do something useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12