Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lynneg

Red face JUMPED SHIP IN SOUTH AFRICA

Hi

My ancestor George Horrocks Pascall jumped ship sometime in the early 1920's and became a trained oestopath in South Africa. He apparently married therr and presumably died there as well. He was born in about 1887 in Waterford, Ireland.Joined the navy in 1905 .

Any ideas where I could look to see if this rumour is true ?

thanks

Lynne

He married a widow called Daisy Ellen Mussenden, maiden name Dell. Looks as if he died in 1961 and she died in 1972

See https://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/...09&RH=00000002
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

My grandfather jumped ship in New Zealand, and it is recorded on his Navy service record, as a desertion of course. And then notices giving his name and description were placed in the New Zealand and Australian Police Gazettes.

I think that you will find the same would apply to your fellow. Deserter notices would be placed with the local authorities and newspapers.

Christine

lynneg

Default jumped ship in south africa

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.I am trying to find some more info from South Africa archives -does anyone know of a good contact there.He was based in Pietermaritzburg and apparently had an oestopath business there. The reference to Northern Ireland is confusing as the archive merely says traced to N/L which I don't think is a reference to Northern Ireland.

Tinker

There are the names of a couple of researchers in South Africa, on Genealogy World.

(If I remember correctly, Rosemary Dixon, who contributes to various Family History mags in this country, is one of them.) Hope this helps!

glynismay

Default george horrocks pascall

Hi Lynneg, I can see this an old post so I hope you are still active on this site. George Horrocks was my grandfather and I am very interested to know your relationship to him? Glynis

Hallo Glynis, and a warm welcome to BG. Lynne hasn't visited for a couple of years, but hopefully your post will generate an e-mail to her. Or you could click on her user name and try sending her a private message.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

lynneg

Default george horrocks pascall

Quote Originally Posted by glynismay View Post
    Hi Lynneg, I can see this an old post so I hope you are still active on this site. George Horrocks was my grandfather and I am very interested to know your relationship to him? Glynis
    Hi Glynis

GHP was the brother of my husbands grandmother Alice .I will let you have more details later as I am currently about to go out but I am still here 1
    lynne

glynismay

Hi Sue,
    Thank you so much for replying - this is so exciting as, although I have done some research into my father's family (GHP) was his father, I don't know any living relatives, and you're quite right, Lyn has responded!
    Glynis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast