Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Isabella Reid/Buckie?

Trying to find Isabella. I have a marriage for her to John Birnie in 1915 in Fraserburgh, parents stated as James Reid fisherman & Jessie Noble. Her age is given as 18.
    Try as I might I can't find anything on her or her parents bfore that date, or after for the parents.
    It seems as if the family may have been from Buckie and that James & Jessie may have died a couple of years sfter she was born. She may have gone to stay with her mother's family. But none of this is certain. I have her children , and her husband's death in 1964 ( I think) I haven't found a death for her either.
    Here's hoping!!

Richard1955

Hi Perseus
    Isabells birth is probably one of these:
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...entYearTo=1910

georgiep

Hello me dear
    Just like to welcome you to the forum.
    I'm sure there are people who can help you.
    All the best
    georgiep

Richard1955

I think the sun is shining too much in Australia dearest Georgiep.
    Perseus joined the family in June 2006

Famous for offering help & advice

Her husband's death cert should indicate whether he was married or widowed which might help. SP have two possible deaths for Isabella in 1978 and 1982 - but neither appear to have Reid as other surname or Noble for mother's maiden name so possibly not her.

Have you found her in 1901?

Tomorrow April 5 the 1911 census for Scotland is released so perhaps you can pick her up there.

So far I haven't spotted a birth or her parents' marriage but will hunt some more.

If you key in Reid and occupation fisherman into the Moray Local Heritage site https://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

this brings up a selection of James Reids who died at sea that might be worth considering.

Famous for offering help & advice

The Moray site also has death in 1913 of a Jessie Reid wife of John Reid fisherman which you may have seen. This Jessie born c 1852, married 5/11/1875 at Enzie. Died Portgordon.

Hi everyone

Lots to check out. Thanks!
    Unfortunately I have tried all ways round to find anything at all on James Reid & Jessie Noble...They WILL be there somewhere I know.
    Can't find anyone on the 1901 census. Perhaps the 1911 will help.
    Not sure if I printed off the death cert for John Birnie, Isabella's husband but will check that out.

Will also check out fisherman lost at sea

also the death fior Jessie Reid in 1913, though the marriage cert gives his name as James.

Off to drive myself dizzy again with as many combinations as I can make up.
    Any success I'll post.

Thanks again

HI There

No luck with Isabella!
    It now appears that james Reid & Jessie Noble may not have been her parents!
    I have tried combinations of Noble & Watt, as Isabella named her daughter Jessie Watt Noble Birnie( no Reid in sight!!!!)
    Still no luck.
    Looked at the fishermaen lst at sea,but unable to make a link.
    I found a death which might have been hers but when I opened it( 5 credits) it was not her.
    Also tried the 1911 census but it became too costly....too many Isabella Reids, Nobles & the rest!

I really can't find anything to which I can connect Isabella.

Any other suggestions?

Coromandel

Hi Perseus

This may turn out to be quite irrelevant, but I thought I'd mention it, just in case.

As Isabella named her daughter Jessie Watt Noble Birnie, I tried Googling "Jessie Watt Noble" . . . and found just one match. Someone of this name witnessed the marriage of a Maggie Jane Noble in Yonkers, Westchester County, NY, in 1928. The reason I thought it might be connected is that Maggie was born in Fraserburgh (in 1902, dau. of James [Noble] and Jane Stewart).

This (and much more) can be found at https://
    cmy.iay.org.uk/ped-scullomie/7057.htm

So perhaps it is worth exploring an American connection? Or perhaps this is a complete red herring.

Hi Coromandel

Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the site you mentioned. I'm inclined to believe that this is not 'my' Jessie, But some of the Birnies did go to ,and back from, Canada In fact Jessie's father and 1 sister were born there returning to Fraserburgh before the birth of the youngest Willhelmina & George