Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jane.harrison.9

Hi Mark,
    Peathill Cemetery stone reads
    Here are laid the ashes of Rev William Mercer for 47 years a most active minister of the church of Pitsligo, d 29 Aug 1767 in his 73rd year; also the remains of his most dutiful wife Ann Monroe d 19 Jan 1768 ; here also rests the body of Rev David Stephenson minister of the same church for nearly 18 years d 12 Jan 1786 age 60.
    Regards
    Jane

jane.harrison.9

Hi Mark,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't know if this is your direct line but here are details of stone 141 Tyrie as promised.
    Erected by Agnes Wilson in memory of her husband John Blyth farmer in Milltown of Rathen d. 6 Sept 1835 in 73rd year : their dau. Agnes d.27 Aug 1814 aged 13 also in memory of her grandfather the Rev. John Mercer of Tyrie d 31 Mar 1761 in the 74th year of his age and 45th of his ministry : her brother James Wilson Merchant at Tyrie d 17 Feb.1796 aged 39. The above Agnes Wilson d. 15 Mar 1855 aged 83.
    As you may know 1855 Scottish certificates are worth their weight in gold because of the wealth of information that they provide.
    If Agnes is in your line it would be worthwhile gatteing a copy of her death cert as she died in 1855.It should give details of all her children and their ages , also if they had died it should name them and their age at death.
    Regards
    Jane

aerofoil

Default Rev William Mercer

Hi Jane;
    Thank you for the information. Unfortunately this is a different line of the family. My line left the country in 1745 due to the Jacobite rebellion and were wanted men!

I appreciate any information however.

Than you for thinking of me.

Warmest regards
    Mark

Isabel H

Fasti Ecclesiae vol 6 (Aberdeen & Moray) which contains info. about William Mercer, Pitsligo, can be downloaded from this link.

https://www.archive.org/details/fastiecclesiu06scotuoft

djpeters

Default Thomas Mercer

Hi ,
    This is my first post on B-G I was trawling and found your request for info on the Mercers.
    I have been researching the Rait family and found connections with the Mercers and in the process found an almost complete family history of the Mercers. Thomas Mercer was the g/son of John Row Principal of Aberdeen University who kept a detailed diary and then passed it to his g/son and his family who continued it from about1661-1780.
    The original diary is in Aberdeen University but has been published in sections in Notes and Queries.
    Thomas was married 3 times 1 Anna Rait 2 Isobel Smith 3 Christian Reid
    Contact me at djpeters AT btinternet DOT com and I can send you a pdf file with a large chunk of the Mercer family.
    regards
    Dave
    Last edited by Procat; 01-09-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Email edited to try to avoid the spammers

philipmercer

Angry Aberdeenshire Mercers

I am of the family of Mercer of Aldie and Meikleour. I am trying to find a connection with the ancestors of Hugh Mercer descendant of William Mercer minister of Pitsligo. There was a branch of my family in Aberdeen and there is a chair of Laurence Mercer in the Trades Museum in Aberdeen with our arms on it,
    dating from about 1680. Mercer is of course a trade name (dealers in wool) and the name was not very common in Scotland. I wondered if the family history dug up by djpeters would throw any light on this ?

First time on this site, I hope I have done it right !!!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by philipmercer View Post
    I wondered if the family history dug up by djpeters would throw any light on this ?
    djpeters may be alerted to your message but hasn't visited the forums for a couple of years.

As another contact option, you can click on djpeters user name (in blue) and send a private message or email.

While you're here, why not make yourself comfortable and have a good look around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12