Thread: IGI-

ypom01

Question IGI-

-please, I've noticed reference to the "IGI" several times. What is it, where do I find it, and what information is given there?

Thanks, Michele

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Michele,
    IGI = International Genealogical Index, and it's part of Family Search, the site of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (aka LDS, the Mormon church)
    https://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...lear_form=true
    The IGI contains records, mainly baptisms and marriages, from various churches throughout the world. It's not every country, nor every church, nor for those churches that are represented, every year.
    When you've searched for someone if you click on their name you get further information about the entry. Scroll down to 'messages'. If the message reads 'Extracted record for locality listed in the record' then it means the entry has been transcribed by the LDS and is therefore fairly accurate as regards the date and names. If the message says 'submitted' then treat with caution. If it has a precise date then it is probably correct, but if it says for example 'about 1820 Lincoln' then it can mean any time and any place. (I've had 'about 1838' to actually be 1824!)
    If you click on the 'source call number' under the messages box, it will then tell you which records were used for the transcription by the LDS. Usually it's the BTs (Bishops Transcripts) but sometimes the parish registers.
    The best thing to do is to explore for yourself, and then come back if you have further questions.
    Have fun.

Added: The most important thing to remember is that this is an index, and you should always refer to the original document. The LDS have many FHCs (Family History Centres) throughout the world where for a small fee you can order in for viewing films of the parish registers.

Pam

Guy Etchells

Before I explain about the IGI please be aware that most of the data held by the LDS comes in the form of microfilm and microfiche copies of original parish registers, books etc. These are of course highly accurate as they are simply a filmed copy of the records themselves and as such error free.
    The IGI or Computer File Index to give it its name before about 1976: This is a database made up from mainly two sources patron submissions and "controlled extractions".

Be aware the IGI is not and has never been intended to be an index of parish records it is an index of church ordinances.
    As an index of church ordinances the IGI is 100% accurate.

To expand on the IGI-
    The IGI (International Genealogical Index) is an index of temple ordinances compiled by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). It has been developed from a number of earlier databases such as the Temple Record Index Bureau card (TIB), the Family Group Record Archives (FGRA).
    The Church later compiled family file names on microfiche called the Computer File Index (CFI), which in 1981 was renamed the International Genealogical Index (IGI). Though the TIB and FGRA are not the basis for the IGI, they have been included in the present IGI.
    It arrived in the UK thanks to the efforts of Fred Filby who viewed the CFI in Salt Lake City and realised the immense value of the index to British family Historians.

It first appeared here on microfiche as the Computer file Index in 1976.
    Much of the IGI is made up from patron submissions these are submissions made by member and non-members of the LDS and through its extraction program.
    This is where the names of deceased people are taken out of historical records such as church, census, probate, etc., by trained volunteers. They are then submitted, temple work completed and indexed on the IGI.

Remember extracted material is not always more accurate than submitted material. The submitted material might be from a birth or marriage certificate, while extracted material might be taken from a compiled historical record or transcript.
    Submitted material sometimes contains more information than extracted records.

Temple ordinances :
    Baptism; A deceased person is offered the chance of being baptised into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (A living person is baptised in proxy on behalf of the deceased. The LDS believe the deceased person has the option to accept this on their behalf or not)

Endowment :
    Endowment is a course of teaching, ordinances, and covenants received in a Mormon temple.

Sealing :
    Due to the belief life carries on after death this seals or “joins” deceased married members & families of the LDSChurch to each other for ever.
    Cheers
    Guy

ypom01

Thank you, Guy! As it turns out, I have done searches through the Family Search website. Sorry to say I didn't have much luck before, but now will try again.

ypom01

Pam it was nice of you to reply to my post, thank you...and for the information as well. I will try the Family Search again, as I did not have much luck with my original search, but perhaps I have more accurate info at this date.

Thank you again,
    Michele

MarkJ

When you go to the Family Search website, the two most useful tools for general research are the IGI and the censuses (for UK research, the 1881 is the one available).
    You will see the options on the left to select which particular part of the Family Search site you wish to use, so it is easy to select the IGI or censuses. If you don't choose specifically, you tend to get a lot of stuff - most of which is probably not as useful as the IGI and census.
    As you play with the IGI, you will quickly discover that certain things must be included, others are optional - and these required items vary a little depending on the search you are doing.
    Bear in mind that the IGI records vary as Guy has mentioned. Extracted records are usually good - but transcription errors can creep in, so try variations of names if you think your ancestor should be there but you can't find them.

Mark

yorkshirecath

Just be cautious with some of the data on there.
    Each record has a batch code.
    Batch codes beginning A, F and all numerical are submitted by members so could potentially be inaccurate.
    Batch codes C,K and J(Baptisms), M and E(Marriage) and P(printed or typed) are taken from the actual registers so are accurate.

Cath x

Guy Etchells

Batch Codes rundown

Codes starting
    A the source is a LDS temple sealing record
    C primary source Baptism
    D used with another batch Number
    E primary source marriage, but marriage date used to id the bride & groom for ordinances of Baptism and endowment
    F Family Group Record submission F indicates one or more names processed by another system (if this was not the case the batch number would be all numeric.).
    H LDS Church membership record (deceased individual)
    J primary source Baptism
    K primary source Baptism
    L Temple originated record limited access (living & deceased members)
    M (excluding M17 & M18) primary source Marriages
    P primary source Baptism
    T miscellaneous sources

Some all numeric numbers starting with 725-, 745-, or 754- are specific extractions from transcripts
    725 J.S.W. Gibson’s Oxfordshire Marriage Index
    744 Various International primary sources
    745 extraction from a Statewide Vital Records Index
    754 extraction from a Statewide Vital Records Index

As a rule of thumb all numeric numbers with third digit is less than 4 are Patron Submissions.

Cheers
    Guy