Thread: Uniform Mystery

brussell69

Default Uniform Mystery

Hi all

Does anybody know what uniform this soldier is wearing? I think the photograph was taken in the late 1890's.
    All help appreciated

https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...ssell55/14.jpg

Barbara

I think it's could be an Australian Regiment. New South Wales possibly. Some UK troops where in these regiments.

Reputation beyond repute

The slouch hat was used by several British units during the Boer War. Try the Imperial Yeomanry .

If you know the man's name, it might be more informative to obtain his service record.

Famous for offering help & advice

I don't claim to be an expert in this by any means, but I once found www.diggerhistory.info to be very useful in identifying an Australian uniform.

From a quick look just now, I gather that the puggaree (band) is fairly characteristic of the Australian slouch hat, and its size and colour can help to identify the unit etc. For example, a dark coloured one with 5 pleats (which this one might be) could signify the Medical Staff Corps NSW in 1890-1903. However, I would suggest that you have a closer look yourself.

I didn't explore the site long enough to find an example of the jacket and its rather distinctive collar. However, I wondered if you might be able to blow up the photo enough for the buttons to be identifiable?

Arthur

brussell69

Default Uniform mystery

Thanks all for your replies. It was suggested to me that it might be a yeomanry uniform. I don't know who the man is, other than that it was a photograph on a page with two young girls that I do know the name of. The only name that I can come up with is a Leonard Watson Penn.

There is no one left alive that I can ask more about him alas!

I've looked a service records on Ancestry but there are no Penn's. I also looked a War Medals and found a L W Penn but that reallyt doesn't verify whether it was mine LWP.

I will look at some of the suggestions and see what I can find.

I did try and 'blow' up the buttons but I still couldn't make out the shape etc

Thanks everyone

Barbara

brussell69

Default Uniform mystery

I've blown up the button if it's helps in identification

https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...l55/Button.jpg

Famous for offering help & advice

I'm afraid I can't help you with the button. All I can really suggest is to spend time at the Digger History site and and similar sites on British (UK) forces to see if anything matches, or you might find a useful book in a good reference library. We don't seem to have anyone here who can give a clear positive ID, but there may be experts lurking on a forum somewhere on the internet.

Good luck,
    Arthur