Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fidgetsmum

Default William defaulted on his payments

My great-grandfather, William Austen, appeared in Court in Maidstone sometime between about 1901 - 1904 ish. He'd leased three buses and defaulted on the payments. He was by all accounts, a fairly eloquent individual and decided to defend himself. Everything was going quite well until they broke for lunch, at which time William repaired to a local hostelry and, to cut a long story short, arrived back at court slightly less eloquent and thus lost his case!

I've no idea which court he may have appeared in, Magistrates, Assizes, Quarter Sessions or whether it was a private prosecution.

I'd be grateful is someone could suggest which court it might have been and what would be the chances of finding any record?

salcat

How about the local papers? There may be reports of the case, especially if he was fairly well known in the area. Then that would tell you which court it was in and you would know where to look for trial records.

HTH

Sally

kcapes

Question Re- William

Hello
    I had a relative who stole bread and got four months hard labour, was tried at Chatham Magistrates but sent to Maidstone Prison then to Oakwood Mental Hospital where he died poor chap. There was the Maidstone Magistrates used to be by the old Maidstone Police station near the bottom of Gabriels Hill and the Crown Court was in County Hall, both are in one building now. But you can look at all records at County Hall Archives subject to closure laws, I did it was brilliant. Where did he live.

Fidgetsmum

Quote Originally Posted by kcapes View Post
    Hello
    There was the Maidstone Magistrates used to be by the old Maidstone Police station near the bottom of Gabriels Hill and the Crown Court was in County Hall, both are in one building now. ... Where did he live.
    William lived in Bower Street, Maidstone.

Certainly the old Assizes and Quarter Sessions have long since been relocated to Maidstone Crown Court in Barker Road, but I thought the Magistrates Court was still in Palace Avenue, (at least, judging by the number of 'a certain type of person' who gather outside its frontage). I worked in that 'old' Police Station next door for 8 years - the facade may be old but believe me, a several-million pound refurb., and refit has ensured the inside is very 21st century!

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetsmum View Post
    I thought the Magistrates Court was still in Palace Avenue
    True.

brianb

Have you tried the London Gazette, covers more than just London and a brief search revealed a few William Austins (sorry didnt get around to reading them all).

Brian

https://www.gazettes-online.co.uk

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetsmum View Post
    I'd be grateful is someone could suggest which court it might have been
    County Court, I would have thought.

Fidgetsmum

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    County Court, I would have thought.
    In the words of John Cleese ...... but, of course