Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Titanicfan

Hi all

Just to let everyone know that Henk has very kindly recently made me a member of The Live Bait Squadron Society after I had read one of the Society's online Bulletins. Whilst reading through the very interesting articles, I couldn't believe my luck when I found an article which my mother's cousin had written about my great grandfather! Henk very kindly passed my contact details to my mother's cousin and now we are sharing photos and research information so I am very grateful to Henk for this kind gesture. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend the Centenary Commemoration for HMS Hogue, Aboukir, Cressy at Chatham on the 22nd September 2014, although I would love to have attended but my mother's cousin will be there to represent and honour my great grandfather and his comrades. I will be purchasing Henk's book soon and I would recommend online The Live Bait Squadron Society to all of the descendents.

Dave Martin

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away for a while. Yes, I have tried the local papers but the only thing I have come accress was the announcement of his death that had been reported to his parents. I'm not aware of any medal that had been presented to him - and certainly not come across a photo of him - or any other crew members come to that. In fact, photos of the Martin family have proved very elusive in general.

Regards, Dave

Robert Webster

Default George Martin

Hi Dave,
    I think I may have exactly what you've been searching for. My father is Kenneth Webster, son of Francis Webster (nee Martin) and I found George Martin's medals tonight in my Father's possession. I am sure he has more info and will be in touch. I can't seem to post photos, possibly as I'm new to the forum.

Dave Martin

Hello Robert, Great to hear from you. I'm new to the forum as well and we've only been tracing the family for about a year now. Until then we knew nothing about my Granddad William's family. Anything at about them would be wonderful. Are you the Websters that lived in Gosport Road, Walthamstow?

There are also a couple of the Martins we have been unable to trace after WW1. They are Henry (Harry) and Walter.

Regarding photos (or anything else) - if you could contact me direct via email - dave.mardenATtiscali.co.uk - (adjusting the @) - and I can axplain a lot more about our family

Dave Martin

Hello again Robert. Just checked on the family tree - you would be related to Edward Webster (your uncle)?
    He was the informant at Charles Martins death

Robert Webster

Hi Dave, Edward Webster was my Grandfather. I will email the pictures of the medals etc over to you. They lived in Gosport Road when I was a child and I remember many happy hours over Walthamstow Market watching the jellied eels being prepared!

Dave Martin

Me again Robert, Sorry for the mix up but I'm still getting over the shock of making contact.
    I see now that you are the grandson of Edward and Frances Webster - Frances was the daughter of Charles John Martin who lived at Gosport Road. George Martin lived with the family there.
    Best Regards, Dave

Robert Webster

Hello Dave,
    Email has been sent with the images attached. Let me know if there's any problems with it.

Best Regards,

Robert.

Beaken R

I am in the process of researching my family history and in particular my great grandfather who was Francis John Beer who died on HMS Aboukir on 22/09/2014 he was a Boatswain having retired and appears to have been recalled to active service on commencement of WW1. I would be grateful for any information that any members may have which may assist me in my research. I believe he and his family were living in Gillingham at the time of his death.

Have you checked the cwgc.org site for his memorial? If he has a grave, the family may be mentioned in the entry.
    You should find him and his family in the 1911 census - if you don't have a subscription to Ancestry, try your local main library - many of them do.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast