Default Greece & Crete 1941 - Australians

Hi all and thank you in advance.

I am an Australian archaeologist who carries out research in Greece & Crete (well haven't been able to get there for quite a COVID while). For the last 2 years or so I have been working to put together a Nominal Roll of Australians who served in either or both Greece & Crete 1941. It has never been attempted before it seems and perhaps I know why. Anyway Gavin Long (and Percy Spender the then-minister for the Army) finally supplied figures of just over 17,000.

Certainly I am working with a lot more close at hand/accessible but I have now confirmed over 18,000 and still moving forward. Now working on a book to carry the roll and after that will make the database freely available. The database will be in the form of an annotated roll with each name supported by a minimum one solid reference to confirm embarkation. It will also include every ref. to a particular person I have come across in Unit War Diaries, Personal Diaries/letters and so on. Yes it is a huge database.

Have come across a lot of 'research rabbitholes' in the process, some of which I have explored further with quite amazing results. I do not believe I will ever get everyone especially Aussies who served with British units but the roll is a good start.

Should anyone on the forum have anything you believe may be of assistance please contact me AND should you need to confirm if you had a relative who did embark I would be happy to help out with any references I have found. thanks to a learned forum and regards. Michael

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Hi Michael, I sure with your research you already have the order of battle for "W" Force Greece, if not I can send on to you. My father fought with the British 1st Armoured Bridge under Command of the 6th Australian Division.
    Keith

Hi Keith
    Thanks for the reply and the offer. I do have the order of battle somewhere in my endless notes that I have been through over the last 12 years or so (have also been working on another project on a British wreck (TLC)I came across then - Have a look at Forgottenflotilla.com). If you send me your dad's name (number) I will keep an eye out for any possible reference to him in the personal/unit diaries and histories as there are so many Brits named in various situations. As I was only searching for Aussies at this stage I never noted them down but can keep him in mind as I sift through everything. Have a lot of stuff from TNA (Kew) as well with British evacuation lists hastily put together in some of the ships' reports as well as lists of missing - mostly only guesswork though as done on the spot or soon after. Did you dad also go to Crete? Again thank you and regards. Michael

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Hi Michael
    I will check out Forgottenflotilla.

My fathers name was H.J.Wapples No.6642550 1st Battalion The Rangers (9th KRRC)
    One company and wounded were shipped straight back to Egypt and my father was lucky to be with this group avoiding Crete.

Major D. R. C. Boileau in Command. I spent a number of days at the Imperial War Museum a few years back, the Major had sent his wife a number of letters with very detailed account of the Battalions action in Greece.
    Keith

Hi Keith Thanks for that and I will keep an eye out. If I come across anything that may be of interest I'll be in contact. Regards. Michael