Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    deb68

Default A look up please

Hi
    I was wondering if someone would look up my gramps( Grandad)name Herbert h Lane born May 11th, 1911, in not sure but been told Crowland an on a newspaer pic of him an my nan celebrating ther 50th wedding anniversay it says Crowland
    he died in march 1989 in Mansfiled,im trying to find out who lived at the house at that time,sorry dont no his parents names trying too find where it was he lived
    thank you very much
    deb

Jan1954

Well, it's a year earlier than 1911 but...

April to June
    Herbert Henry LANE
    Reigate District
    Volume 2a
    Page 207

Could this be him?

deb68

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Well, it's a year earlier than 1911 but...

April to June
    Herbert Henry LANE
    Reigate District
    Volume 2a
    Page 207

Could this be him?
    Hi Jan
    i really dont know or how i could s i dont no his parents names,just no of 2 sisters vera and a half sis mabs thats it really frustrating
    mad how i can find his death yaer but not birth,can i ask how it is tht you can do this so quick
    thanks
    deb

Jan1954

Hi Deb,

I have certain websites bookmarked on my computer and, through practice, know which ones to hit for whatever information.

It might be worth your while to spend the £7.00 on the certificate - if only to rule him out. The address at which he was born might provide a clue, or even the occupation of his father might ring a few bells with the family. You might even find that one of his sisters was named after his mother.

However, the registration quarter is right and the middle name begins with H. I leave the decision with you...

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jan1954

Just had a thought.

I've had a look for a Vera Lane, born about the same time +/- a couple of years and found this:

Births
    Jan to Mar 1912
    LANE Vera M
    Mother's maiden name: Hayden
    Reg District: Croydon
    Volume: 2a
    Pae: 632

Now, Croydon and Reigate districts are virtually next door to each other so could this be his sister Vera?

deb68

Default thank you

thank you jan, that could be him was talking to my brother yesturday he siaid that gramps (herbert henry lane)was one of 7 or probably more,had my nans birth cert yesturday she was born 1906 in tenby pembroke she was a lot easier too find than my gramps
    thank you for that jan really good of you
    take care
    deb

Jan1954

You're welcome

deb68

Default lane

hiJan
    got the birth cert herbert henry lane regaite dis, unfortunatly not the right one,never mind will just keep looking,
    thank you for your help
    deb

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by deb68 View Post
    Hi
    I was wondering if someone would look up my gramps( Grandad)name Herbert h Lane born May 11th, 1911, in not sure but been told Crowland an on a newspaer pic of him an my nan celebrating ther 50th wedding anniversay it says Crowland
    he died in march 1989 in Mansfiled,im trying to find out who lived at the house at that time,sorry dont no his parents names trying too find where it was he lived
    thank you very much
    deb
    Hi Deb,
    Have you got Herbert's death certificate? The death registration gives his birth date as 9th May 1911, and the death certificate will tell you where he died and his usual address. They are not necessarily the same - he may have died in hospital but lived at 123 London Road. For other details you get on a death certificate
    https://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/deaths.htm
    You would then no doubt need the electoral rolls - you'll need to check with Mansfield Council where they're held - to find out the names of the people over 21 who lived at the same address.
    Herbert's marriage certificate would hopefully be able to confirm his age, and it should also give you his father's name and occupation. If his father is something like Septimus Napoleon Lane he should be easy for us to find on the census.
    Another alternative is to apply to the Peterborough registrar for Herbert's birth certificate.
    https://www.peterborough.gov.uk/page-341
    Say that you understand he was born in Crowland in May 1911. Don't specify a date in May. Don't bother to say anything about him not being in the GRO Index. In fact it might be better to leave out the Crowland bit as well. Usually, less is better.
    Meanwhile re-read the newspaper article again very carefully to see what other clues you might get from it. An article about my great aunt's diamond wedding anniversary gave the church and date of marriage, their occupations, interests, how long they'd lived at their present address, children's names, etc. A veritable treasure trove.
    Pam

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by deb68
    got the birth cert herbert henry lane regaite dis, unfortunatly not the right one,never mind will just keep looking,
    Do you have your grandfather's marriage certificate? If not, this would be useful to your research as it will include his age and may point you towards searching for his birth in a different year. It should also include his dad's name and occupation which will help you to confirm when you find the correct birth certificate.

You might find his dad listed in a directory so that you cna follow where he lived, and possibly be able to identify him in the 1901 census? Witnesses to marriages can also be useful - often related.

You mentioned that he died in 1989 - did he leave a will? These can often be useful sources of information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast