Warder

Default Police Constable & Principal of Glasgow Foot Hospital

I have been researching the life of my father John McBain Stewart M.B.E. 1877-1956. As I was illegitimate he arranged for me to be placed in an orphanage and I never met him. I have his birth, marriage and death details, his police service in two seperate forces from 1897-1912. At this point the trail goes cold until 1937 when he appears on the few surviving records of the Glasgow Foot Hospital of which he was the Director and Principal.

From what I have uncovered it seems that he was investigated by the General Medical Council for mis-representing himself as a surgeon but no one seems to want to give out information.

His police record suggests that he was married but I can find no record of an end to that marriage yet he re-married a lady in Irvine, Ayrshire who was a Justice of the Peace. I would love to know where he was between 1912 and 1937 (cant find a war record). I checked the MBE with St James,s Palace (it is legit) but I have never been able to trace anyone related to him.
    Most of his life he lived in Irvine but may have been in Largs towards the end of it.

Where should I go from here?

Warder

I presume you have the 1901 census where he was a boarder at 96 High Street, Fraserborough?

I am not sure where in Scotland you are based, but the Mitchell Library in Glasgow has an excellent run of trade directories, post office directories etc.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Warder

Default Police Constable & Principle of Glasgow Foot Hospital

Dear Sue

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your reply. I do have the address at High St and many others. I think perhaps I have gone as far as I can with the paper trail and my hope was that someone out there might have heard of him, particularly in the later years of his life in Irvine, Scotland where he died in 1956.

Regards

Warder

badalich

police constable and principal of glasgow foot hospital

dear warder,

I just found this site and your research. My grandfather was William G. A. Stewart, born in 1884 in Scotland. He had a brother named John McBain Stewart. I know from reading my grandfather's obit that his brother John McBain Stewart had something to do with the Glasgow Foot Hospital. I also know that his father's name was William and his mother's name was Mary. I believe they had a sister Mary who married an Ellis. I am putting this together a little at a time because my mother and father are both dead. It seems like a good pooibility that these could be the same people because when my grandfather moved to England he was also a policeman.
    Maybe we could help each other. I live in the States so my research is a little slow.

Thanks,
    Sherry

malcolm99

Have you seen this? It looks like there was an obituary for him in the Ross-shire Journal in 1956 which may have some information.

See: rchs.uhi.ac.uk/RJ2000c/ (put www in front) >click enter >click 17th November >click Reflections >see ‘44 years ago’.

malcolm99

Sherry – have you seen this advert in the Sydney Morning Herald 1936?

newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/1111513?zoomLevel=3 (just put https:// in front: there’s no www.)

It should open at page 29, then go to column 3 and scroll down (there are 2 adverts).

malcolm99

Warder

Hi Sherry

Certainly looks like the right folks. I will be happy to help you in any way I can.

Kind regards
    Warder