Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Workhouse Abbreviations??

Hi

My ancestor was admitted to the City Road Workhouse, Hoxton, London in 1887 and in the "Observations On Condition At Time Of Admission and General Remarks" it says S, W or M for single, married or widowed, but next to it, it says SR or LR. On occasions it says "6 days" "6 years" or "11 years" and sometimes "Belongs" or *ry instead but it mostly says SR or LR.

Does anyone know what this abbreviation could mean at all as it is bugging me a bit?

Thanks

Ben

Jan1954

Hello Ben and welcome.

My first instinct is that the letters refer to Settlement or Removal.

Have a look on the Workhouse website, if you've not already done so, which may be found here: https://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Hi Jan

My ancestor,who had lived in the parish of Holborn for 9 years before his admission date was first admitted for 3 days to the hsopital in April 1885, and his admission registers say he was a shoeblack, b1813, married, and it said LR next to Married, of 25 Evelyn Buildings. His wife died in Nov 1886 and by his Oct 1887 admission to the Workhouse Hospital it says shoeblack, b1813, of 25 Evelyn Buildings "Widowed" then it says "6 years" instead of LR or SR.

On the previous page a woman, Ellen Kane was admitted , widowed, aged 67, and she had lived at the same address, Fullwoods Rents for many years as it tallies with that of the 1881 census and the 1881 census says that she was a widow. For her it says "Widowed" then it says "6 days" instead of SR or LR and I am using her as an example to help me crack the meaning of the abbreviation.

I looked on www.workhouses website and cannot find anything on abbreviations in admission registers.

Ben

MythicalMarian

Ben - is the LR or SR the last thing in the line? Or does the name of a locality or Parish follow? I only ask this because of the 'Belongs' that you mentioned above.

This is a real brain-teaser. At first I thought it may be something like 'legally referred' or 'self-referred' - but that doesn't seem to fit if in places the initials are replaced with a length of time. Could it be how long they had been receiving parish relief? Or could it be 'short residency' or long residency' for how long they were expecting to be there?

I confess, this one has me non-plussed, and it's very interesting. I'm curious to know what everyone comes up with.

Hi

Thomas Roberts had made his first application for poor relief in 1878 when his family, including his wife and 6 children had moved to 69 Leather Lane in Holborn from Walworth after they ran a beer house that didnt make them any profit. They tried to be the 1870s Alan Sugar I guess but were fired lol joke. Because they were destitute, Thomas made his poor relief application on 2nd Dec 1878. They were sent to the Farringdon Road Workhouse.

They were back on their feet again by the 1881 census as Thomas, now 68 was a night watchman and his two eldest daughters were tailoresses living at 9 Portpool Lane, Holborn, just round the corner from 69 Leather Lane. Due to his age, he must have applied for poor relief again in late 1884 or early 1885 as he was in the hospital for 3 days in April 1885. He was ordered there by his Relieving Officer George Goldsmith, and the same in Oct 1887 when aged 74 he was admitted by G Goldsmith. Thomas discharged himself on the 5th November 1887 after 21 days in hospital.

Would I be able to insert an image for anyone to see for themselves at all?

Yes, the LR and SR might be something to do with the workhouse.

Ben

I have moved part of this thread to here

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=32627

because the messages had departed from the original topic. This way everyone should get more help.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Hi

I have looked for explanations to the abbreviation at the beginning but cannot find any of St Lukes. I even asked the staff at the LMA and they said they'd get back to me after I left a contact detail. I havent heard yet.

It could be how long they were supposed to be in hospital, or maybe how long they were recieving relief etc. I still think LR and SR could mean Long Residency or Short Residency, as in the workhouse.

Ben

R A KING

Quote Originally Posted by benny1982 View Post
    Hi

My ancestor was admitted to the City Road Workhouse, Hoxton, London in 1887 and in the "Observations On Condition At Time Of Admission and General Remarks" it says S, W or M for single, married or widowed, but next to it, it says SR or LR. On occasions it says "6 days" "6 years" or "11 years" and sometimes "Belongs" or *ry instead but it mostly says SR or LR.

Does anyone know what this abbreviation could mean at all as it is bugging me a bit?

Thanks

Ben
    I have a very good book "Tracing your family Tree" by Jean Cole and John Titford - it gives a list of all the abbreviations but not SR and LR - I will read through the bit on the workhouse later to see if it is mentioned in that section.

Hi

It is a mystery. I think in those days, ministers of institutions just abbreviated things to make it difficult for the inmates descendents lol.

Ben

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think it probably refers to any relief previously received, and whether that was long-term relief (e.g. years, LR) or short-term (e.g. days, SR). Would that fit the context?

Kerrywood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast