Thread: D.T.P.S

lil row

Default D.T.P.S

Hello all,
    One of my Dublin relatives who died in 1935, has in his funeral notice the letters D.T.P.S, after his name. In a family letter prior to his death he is reported as a compositor. Do the initials stand for a union or a status in the printing profession?
    Thanks

busyglen

I've been googling, but can't come up with anything at the moment. The main item coming up with those intitials is for Orchids, so that's out. The rest relate to printing, but more in modern technology.

I suppose the P.S. could be `Printing Society' or something like that, but it is only guessing, which isn't much help. I'll have another go and see what turns up.

Glenys

busyglen

Found it! Its the Dublin Typographical Provident Society.....so a sort of Union.

Hope that helps.

Glenys

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen View Post
    Found it! Its the Dublin Typographical Provident Society.....so a sort of Union.

Hope that helps.

Glenys
    Well done Glenys
    I had a bit of a Google earlier and couldn't come up with anything which would fit.

Best wishes
    Ann

busyglen

Thanks Ann, it was a bit difficult, but just meant a change of search words. Once I put Union in, it came up. Just a bit of luck!

Glenys

lil row

Default B-G Never ceases to amaze me

Thank you ladies. You are brilliant!
    I posted the same request in my Dublin forum thread. Eric S answered with the same soicety. He offered that unions were illegal in Ireland around the turn of the century so benevolent groups were formed that acted much the same as a union.
    It's participants like you and Eric S that make B-G so special. In addition to biographical facts readers share historical knowledge. To me that's what makes the genealogy come alive.
    Thanks again.

busyglen

Glad to have been of help...that's what the Forum is all about.

Good luck with the rest of your researching.

Glenys