Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Default William HUNT

Glad to be of help. Never give up and always use a lot, and I mean a lot, of lateral thinking when searching census records. Unusual names for children, such as Lily, although that didn't work in your case, are often easier to search on than Mary or William. Surnames are often mis-spelled or mistranscribed but it is amazing if you persevere how often you find them in the end.

Good luck with the rest of your research and don't forget there are always plenty of people to help on this Forum.

Janet

Cassie2008

Default William Hunt and family

Thanks very much, it all seems to be coming together with the information you have given me I have found out that John's father Thomas was a surgeon so I presume Richard was following in his footsteps. I find it very exciting when I actually get somewhere, but I couldnt have got this far without people's help and buying a lot of marriage certificates! Thanks again Cassie

janbooth

Default Thomas HUNT

And in case you haven't found Thomas, this looks like him in the 1851 census of Much Hoole:

HO107/2264, folio 18, page 3
    21 Mount Pleasant

Thomas HUNT Head Widr 62 Surgeon General Practioner Much Hoole
    Mary do Daur U 22 Housemaid do
    Ralph S do Son U 20 Assistant to Father do
    Elizabeth WADDINGTON Gr Daur 7 Scholar do

and in the 1841 census of Much Hoole:

HO107/526/7, folio 12, page 16
    Turnpike Road

Thomas HUNT 50 Surgeon Born in county yes
    John do 25 yes
    Sarah do 20 yes
    Elizabeth do 20 yes
    Henry do 15 yes
    Thomas do 15 yes
    Mary do 13 yes
    Ralph do 11 yes

This should give you a few more names to search for!!

Janet

Cassie2008

Default Thomas Hunt

Hello Janet
    Thank you very much for the information on Thomas. For some reason I couldnt find him on the census searches I did. You must have a very good website. How do you do it? I am very pleased to find John listed on the census of 1841. I cant thank you enough for the information you have given me.
    best wishes Cassie

Maryboo

Hi,

I found this query whilst doing a Google search on the names William and Henry Hunt.

Myself and my brother have recently started researching our family history but had difficultly getting started on my Grandma's side. Her mother and father both died when she was just a baby and she went to live with her Grandparents on her mothers side. Unfortunately she knew next to nothing about her father and his family. I managed to track down her parents marriage certificate which arrived on Saturday.

I was very excited to find out the occupation stated for her father and grandfather was 'Boatman'. Every other ancestor seems to be an agricultural labourer so this was something a little different! However, I have drawn a bit of a blank as to finding them on a census and have yet to find the registry for Henry's death.

The marriage took place on 19th May 1904. Henrys age is stated as 29 and his residence as 'Parish of St Nicholas with St John Lincoln'. His father was William Hunt and they were both put down as boatmen.

I don't know if my Henry is connected in any way with your own!

Cassie2008

Default William and Henry Hunt

Hi
    Thanks for your message. I think your Henry could be the same as mine. He is the brother of my great Grandmother. William his father worked on the canals as well and at one time Henry is listed as being on board a vessel and then he seems to move from the census for a while. William died of cancer aged 44 and Henry's sister Lilly and her sister Ellen were left living with their mother Mary Ann. I have traced back quite far with William's family and William's brother became a Doctor. Their grandfather was a Doctor also in the Village of Much Hoole, but John William's father moved away and worked on the canals. He became a foreman on them. If you require any more information. I also have some photographs, but not of Henry I'm afraid, just the two sisters. My Great Grandmother and Great aunt. I would be quite happy to let you have a copy of them.

Maryboo

Hi,

That certainly does sound promising. I'll send you a private message with my email address so that we can swap information.

Many thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12