Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Well at least I got the place right. But he did find some records in Sheffield Archives.

Arthur

Duchess

Through my research three of my Denton family were servants to the FitzWilliam family at different times.
    William Denton (1841-1851) he was at the Westminster house as a Footman
    Ann Denton (1861) she was at the Wentworth House, she was a Stillroom maid
    Charles Denton (1871) he was a servant at the Milton Home, his job was a groom

Feen

Default Servants at Wentworth Woodhouse

Hi Duchess, have you seen Black Diamonds by Catherine Bailey, about the Fitzwilliam family, the mines and Wentworth Woodhouse? It's a very interesting read but mostly concentrates on a slightly later period than when your family members were working at Wentworth Woodhouse. But it's an extraordinary story and includes some interesting info on what was involved in running a place that size.

Sadly most of the family's own archives were deliberately burnt by the last? earl about 40 or 50 years ago I do wish people wouldn't do that!

dearmariana

Default my Uncle Tom (Ragsdale?) former Gamekeeper

I'm looking for info on servants as well... Tom (possibly Ragsdale) who was former Gamekeeper at Wentworth, and his sister Sarah Elizabeth (Sally) Ragsdale who was a domestic servant.

Amlet

May I suggest getting hold of a copy of "Black Diamonds - The Rise and Fall of and English Dynasty" by Catherine Bailey. It gives a good history of Wentworth and the Fitzwilliam family - including their spectacular decline. It's a very readable book and provided me with much insight where my ancestor Thomas Globe lived and worked.

Richard

dearmariana

Default Black Diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by Amlet View Post
    May I suggest getting hold of a copy of "Black Diamonds - The Rise and Fall of and English Dynasty" by Catherine Bailey. It gives a good history of Wentworth and the Fitzwilliam family - including their spectacular decline. It's a very readable book and provided me with much insight where my ancestor Thomas Globe lived and worked.

Richard
    Hi Richard, thanks, I have actually ordered that on Amazon. I noticed in another forum, and ordered on Amazon right away. I've heard good things about it! Thanks for the tip!

mfwebb

Default Black Diamonds

Black Diamonds is an absolutely brilliant read, doubly so for me because of my connections with the coal mining industry and my involvement in the many coal mining subsidence claims on Fitzwilliam land and properties around Wentworth Woodhouse. The demise of the family makes particularly interesting reading, including the inheritance scandal which led to the deliberate burning of a huge quantity of private papers in the family archive. This was about 1976 if I remember correctly -- I remember the rumours about the fire at the time but was not fully aware of what was burnt until I read the book a couple of years ago.

Happy reading when the book arrives.

Starting to feel at home

Hi All,

I live about five miles from Wentworth and go there regulalrly. As you say, Graham Nortons family worked on the irish estate Vic Reeves visited Wentworth to see how his ancestors worked as gamekeepers. Another more recent programme was the Dan Cruckshank one on private country house some lovely views of inside the house. The present family are hoping to turn it into a hotel/museum. The Black Diamonds book has a lot of information and at one time there was discussion it would be made into a film.
    I understand Sheffield Archives is undergoing a refirb and is temporarily on Surray St. at the library. but can be emailed at [email protected]

steveg66

My great great great granddad worked and lived on the estate in 1841 (wood nook), he was Charles White. Anyone have any idea where I can find more info. Thanks

bevken

Default Wentworth servants

My Grandma was a kitchen maid then cook at wentworth in the 1920s her name was Annie Oliver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12