Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused Aussie

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

That could be your family in the 1861 census - children do not show up being registered in Victoria , Australia until 1869 (James) and 1871 (John).

ChristineR

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1871 Grace is living with Elizabeth, most likely Janes sister.
    Elizabeth apparently married John Williams and there are lot of children but not Jane's Edward and Elizabeth.
    Possibly John and Edward Snr were brothers?
    An Edward Williams tin miner aged 20 is a boarder in St Just in 1871. This may be Jane's Edward if he did not go with her.
    There are dozens of Elizabeth Wiliams both in deaths and marriages 1861 - 1871 so that remains a mystery if she did not go with Jane.
    Let me now if you want any of these details.
    Last edited by Dargie; 07-04-2008 at 5:50 AM. Reason: additional info

[/QUOTE]Thanks for this info. Some confusion here as I have info. that says Edward/Jane Williams had children:
    William George WILLIAMS - born 23/11/1854
    James Clemens WILLIAMS - born about 1869 Sandhurst, Vic. Aust.
    John Clemens WILLIAMS - born about 1871 Victoria, Aust.
    Joseph Clemens WILLIAMS - born about 1892 Victoria Aust.
    Edward WILLIAMS - born in Victoria, Aust.[/QUOTE]
    The info. I have states there were 5 children but I do not know who was born in Cornwall and who were born here in Australia - the dates I have jump from 1854 to 1892 and later.
    You need to check this information against the BDM indexes.

Joseph Clemens Williams born at Maldon, 1892, is the son of John Williams and Margaret Penrose.

Jane would be getting on in years, probably in her seventies by 1892. She and Edward married in 1848, so there would be children born from that time, before 1854.

The son Edward was born around 1849 - must have been born in Cornwall. He was 59 when he died in Richmond, Victoria 1908 - so he should have been on the shipping list with Jane and William.

WILLIAMS is such a common name, especially in the area where yours were.
    I am having trouble sorting my own own in the same districts.

And then there is a Thomas WILLIAMS, who died at Maldon, 1917, with your Edward and Jane named as parents. By his age, he was born abt 1867. Birth not registered in Victoria.

Do you have either Edward or Jane's' death certificates? they should list the children by names and ages.

ChristineR

Knowledgeable and helpful

Great Christine. Maldon is spot on.
    We owned the Maldon Eaglehawk Motel a few years back.
    Maldon was actually two different gold mining towns, one called Eaglehawk with their own hotels etc. Right next door to our motel is the Eaglehawk Hotel, well over one hundred years old.
    For practical purposes it is all called Maldon now.
    It got very confusing because of Eaglehawk at Bendigo.
    So, Eaglehawk for his burial would obviously be the Bendigo Eaglehawk as next to Long Gully! Wonder how Clunes got into the picture. As you say Christine that is a fair step away.
    Marj.
    Last edited by Dargie; 07-04-2008 at 7:49 AM. Reason: correction

Aussie66

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    Yes Lorraine as I mentioned in the second post the family I found is definately not right.
    On IGI however information which would appear to be documented and therefore I would expect reliable.
    States Knape Street, Long Gully as place of death and lists Edward as a miner(gold obviously!) IGI has the burial at Eaglehawk, a little way from Clunes but maybe that was the name of the district.

Parents of Jane listed as James Clemens b 1798 St Just, died 1849 St Just
    and Grace Rowe b 1799

Parents of James Clemens listed as "rudrum" (obviously the transcriber had trouble with this name!) born 1768 died 1843 and Alice White born 1768 St Just died 1844 St Just.Marriage 1791

I will try and find the name of James father (rudrum!) on the 1841 census.

Cheers
    Marj. ( near Traralgon).
    Hi Marj,
    How ironic that you live near Traralgon - I was born at Sale Hospital (lived in Traralgon with my parents and siblings until I came to Melbourne in 1958.)
    My error in some information I posted
    I have visited the gravesite of Edward/Jane Williams and it is actually at Eaglehawk not Clunes. The Clunes gravesite is another leg of my grandmother's family (my father's mother) who died at Traralgon Hospital in 1957 - she originally married by grandfather in Maryborough and lived there until they moved to Wonthaggi. All miners of some description.
    One brick wall seems to have been removed from Edward/Jane's children - it appears that Joseph Clemens Williams was not one of their children but in actual fact was an uncle to my great-grandfather William George.
    I have a number of very old photos my Dad had and at one time I recall him telling me they were either his cousins or uncles - all involved in goldmining here in Victoria, Western Australia and even California.
    Will have to take a bit of time to sift through the information I now have and try to sort it out correctly. Am still a beginner at this genealogy searching but am really interested to find out more. Thanks for your help. My e-mail address is available on my profile, if you wish to contact me.
    Cheers Lorraine
    Last edited by Jan1954; 08-04-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Email address

Aussie66

Default Aussie 66 - Williams family

Thanks for all the help so far - this together with help from others in Australia has now provided more info., but I'm stuck still.
    Edward/Jane Williams appear to have 7 children (at last count)
    Edward, Elizabeth Jane, Mary, William George, Catherine, all born in St. Just, Cornwall and James Clemens, John Clemens born in Victoria Australia.

My problem is I can find no other information regarding Elizabeth Jane Williams born abt. 1851, Mary Williams born abt. 1852, Catherine Williams born abt. 1858 - I know their brothers Edward and William George came to Australia by 1865, but do not know what happened to any of the girls. Can someone help?
    If I can find out more of them my 'tree' with regard to Edward/Jane Williams will be 99% completed.
    Cheers from Oz.

Digger - Great War Index. Victoria 1914-1920

Surname: HARRIS
    Given Names: Elizth Jane
    Event: D
    Sex:
    Spouse Surname/Father: Williams Edwd
    Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Elizth Jane CLEMENS
    Age Code:
    Birth Place:
    Death Place: S Yarra
    Year: 1916
    Reg. Number: 12255

C

Meryl1

Default A few years late, but still ......

I have just come across the 2008 postings re Edward Williams and his wife Jane nee Clemens. I am descended from them through their son James Clemens Williams (1869-1924) who was my great-grandfather. His son (my grandfather) was Harold Williams (1894-1934) and my father was Arthur Harold Williams (1913-1995), all of Western Australia. I am trying to find out on what ship the family came out from Cornwall to Victoria. My most likely find has been Jane Williams with children Edward Jnr, Elizabeth Jane and George William arriving 27 July 1866 by the "Tornado" ex Liverpool, but it appears that Edward Snr probably came on ahead of them and I have no way of identifying which of the many Edward Williamses in the passenger lists could be the right one.
    I also note from the earlier posts that there were two other children said to have been born to Edward and Jane in Cornwall, namely Catherine and Mary, but I can't find any record of them belonging to this family or coming to Australia. Shortly before my father died in 1995, the Public Trustee in WA did a genealogical search of Edward and Jane's family back to the early 1800s in Cornwall, as one of my father's cousins died intestate and childless, and the Trustee had to establish the family tree for the purposes of distribution of the estate. There was no mention of these two girls in his final findings - however, I'd like to hear if anybody has any further documentation to establish their connection or otherwise to the family.
    If anybody's interested, I have copies of the Cornish baptismal certificates, also Edward and Jane's wedding certificate. It looks like Jane shaved a few years off her age (she was older than her husband) and was actually 79 when she died, not 74 as stated on her death certificate.
    I would be very interested to hear from anybody with connections to Edward & Jane or their descendants.
    Bye,
    Meryl, Sydney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12