ronnie2303

Default Workhouse Records Dew Family

Hi can anyone help me find out how to access any records for Union Workhouse Portsmouth. I am looking for a 3 x great grandmother ,who died there and a 2x great grandmother who was discharged from there in the 1870's 1880's .Tje family name was Dew. Any help would be appreciated

Jan1954

According to the Workhouse website here:

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/

... records are held by the Portsmouth City Museum and Records Office, Portsmouth Museum Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 2LJ.

Holdings include: Portsmouth parish workhouse records from 1737; Board of Guardians' Minutes (1838-1930); Lunatic lists (1867-1929); Register of children under control of Guardians (1901-47); Emigration of children (1894-1911); etc.

ronnie2303

Thank you for the information on Portsmouth Workhouses Can you tell me if their is public access to these records ?................Ronnie

Jan1954

Sorry Ronnie, I don't know. Give them a ring/write to them.

Actually, if you click on the url in my previous post, the workhouse locations in the box on the left, then Hampshire, then Portsmouth, scroll down and there is a link to the Portsmouth Office. This takes you to Portsmouth City Council and contact details.