Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Peter_uk_can

Default Genealogy .... Why assume it is free ?

I was going to reply in the following vein to a couple of recent postings but decided to start a new thread as I am interested in the views of the masses.

Over the years and after being connected with several genealogy groups I have noticed what seems to be a growing trend that the hobby of genealogy should be free.

If gardening was a hobby, would I expect by gardening centre to keep me supplied with plants ?

If my hobby was sewing, where would I go for free material and threads ?

So, now having made my point, why is it sometimes assumed that Genealogy should be free. ?

I pay for my "Amnestry.com" world subscription because it provides me with tools for my hobby. I pay to visit various archives, because I choose to do so. I pay for my genealogy software because it is the one I want to use.

Just as an example of voisinage, if my neighbour, friend, family want to borrow my nail-gun or need a lift into town or seek to ask my advice on something that I may be better equipped to answer, then I will do it willingly and freely. I do it because I know that the chances are that when I want similar help I will also receive it.

I did consider putting this into the "Moans & Groans" section, but it isn't as much a moan or a groan but a enquiry as to how others view what may seem a reluctance to pay for one's hobby.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    I did consider putting this into the "Moans & Groans" section, but it isn't as much a moan or a groan but a enquiry as to how others view what may seem a reluctance to pay for one's hobby.
    Bl***dy Annoying.
    I can understand the reluctance to pay for a certificate for branches, that cost can add up considerably but when it is the direct line....

How can one not feel that it is absolutely necessary to verify the line with the evidence. I don't understand

elyam

I have to agree for my own trees I have bought the certs and the tree I am working on at the moment which is a gift for my Godfather (almost 90 bless him) I have bough a couple of the certs just to check that I am heading in the right direction.
    elyam

Alan Welsford

A difficult one, I think.

Arguably just about all hobbies cost something - even if you are an ardent walker, you probably need to buy more shoes and boots than if you stayed at home.

But I don't think this has to be an expensive hobby, and people shouldn't be penalised if they attempt it without having a heap of money to spend on it.

My greatest regular investment is my A******y subscription, which, despite it's detractors, and all the shortcomings, I still think is pretty good value for money.

Some parish register transcripts have also been invaluable, and fantastic value. Plus a good book or three, and a fairly ancient family tree program.

But when it gets to GRO certificates at £7 a pop, I start to think quite hard before investing. If I know where my ancestor is buried, and on what day, then more often than not, all I'm adding with a certificate is the exact day of death and a cause.

And why buy a marriage certificate to complete the collection, if I've already read the original church register, which is likely to avoid the transcription errors that may be on the GRO copy certificate.

Over time I will no doubt build up most available certificates for most direct ancestors, but I'd argue it's often not essential. Obviously sometime they are invaluable, (e.g. a birth certificate for a younger sibling born within civil registration, for someone who was not), and I'd similarly expect to continue to collect some for side branches for very valid reasons.

But can I realistically justify £14 each to know exact birth date and death date of every great aunt, great uncle, great great aunt, etc.... Well I can't. If others have more money to spend then that's their prerogative, but they shouldn't criticise my research because some dates read "May 1851", (or even "Apr-Jun 1851"), rather than "15th May 1851".

I think if I accurately record where I know things to the nearest day, and where it's only to the nearest year, then that's reasonable enough.

Alan

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Bl***dy Annoying.
    I can understand the reluctance to pay for a certificate for branches, that cost can add up considerably but when it is the direct line....

How can one not feel that it is absolutely necessary to verify the line with the evidence. I don't understand
    I can ill afford my sub to A* but I do as it allows me to search on my own and not rely on others to do it for me - unless I hit a .

I purchase certs to prove/disprove my tree leaves - can not visit parish or county record offices from where I live.

I object to people not even trying to search, but continually rely on others who have the "ways and means" to look for them. I do try to help when I can and if it is a wrong answer - well blame me for brain clutter

Besides - Nothing is free anyway.

I guess I just don't like to be a pest that might end up by being

Better stop or I'll go on a rant!
    Last edited by v.wells; 20-03-2008 at 4:57 PM. Reason: left off last rant

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

I daren't add up the cost!

1. I have purchased certificates of course.
    2. I have an annual subscription to Ancestry, (ongoing yearly birthday present from my husband.)
    3. I have purchased CD's from Parish Chest for my Cornish lot.
    4. I have purchased Birstall & Emley Parishes booklets via Parish Chest (also pay sub to Huddersfield FHS via them.)
    5. I have purchased booklets for 4 Parishes from Wakefield FHS - wish they were with Parish Chest too!
    6. My husband bought me a brand new microfiche reader, the Christmas before last ....... couldn't find a second hand one anywhere.
    6. I have purchased microfiche direct from Wakefield Archives ..... still ongoing, as and when funds allow.

Phew ....... when I list it, it does look a lot doesn't it?
    Good luck with your research everybody!

v.wells

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Grant-Salmon View Post
    I daren't add up the cost!

1. I have purchased certificates of course.
    2. I have an annual subscription to Ancestry, (ongoing yearly birthday present from my husband.)
    3. I have purchased CD's from Parish Chest for my Cornish lot.
    4. I have purchased Birstall & Emley Parishes booklets via Parish Chest (also pay sub to Huddersfield FHS via them.)
    5. I have purchased booklets for 4 Parishes from Wakefield FHS - wish they were with Parish Chest too!
    6. My husband bought me a brand new microfiche reader, the Christmas before last ....... couldn't find a second hand one anywhere.
    6. I have purchased microfiche direct from Wakefield Archives ..... still ongoing, as and when funds allow.

Phew ....... when I list it, it does look a lot doesn't it?
    I don't dare add up the cost either - it is worth it to me only!

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Hi Vanessa,

At least I don't spend too much money at Garden Centres for plants, as I take cuttings from my own plants, and *pinch* cuttings from other people!

Therefore, my way of thinking is:

The money I save on garden plants ...... I spend on genie stuff!
    Good luck with your research everybody!

mfwebb

I agree with Peter 100%.

Whatever hobby we choose to pursue comes at a cost of one sort or another.

I pay my sub to that site which everyone seems reluctant to mention here. I buy books, CD's, transcripts etc to help me in my research. I pay £7 a throw for certificates. I only object to paying this £7 if I get the wrong certificate -- 4 times in nearly 20 years, but 2 of them in the last 3 months.

Now we have the internet at our fingertips things are so much easier and cheaper.

Whatever I pay for my hobby and my research now I compare with the cost I incurred in 1996 when I had an extended stay at a hotel in Bedford visiting the records office there for a whole week. And so I regard my hobby costs now as nothing more than pocket money.

Back then I also had the pleasure of feeling and smelling and examining at first hand the old original documents. You don't get that with look-ups on the internet -- and I'm sure the internet has made us idle to the point where we may lose some of the original archive offices due to lack of use.

BUT -- if someone wants to start a petition to let us get certificates for free then let me know and I'll gladly sign up. I am looking for the death of my 2 x ggf, John Webb, in 1844 or 1845. The only safe bet was that he died in Rugby but the only Rugby certificate is not him (30 years too old). I don't know now where else to look. There are 98 others -- but if the certificates were free there wouldn't be a problem.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Welsford View Post

But can I realistically justify £14 each to know exact birth date and death date of every great aunt, great uncle, great great aunt, etc.... Well I can't. If others have more money to spend then that's their prerogative, but they shouldn't criticise my research because some dates read "May 1851", (or even "Apr-Jun 1851"), rather than "15th May 1851".

I think if I accurately record where I know things to the nearest day, and where it's only to the nearest year, then that's reasonable enough.

Alan
    I did say Direct Line, I do not think anyone can reasonably be expected to pay out for all the branches.

However, sometimes you do get a surprise, the unexpected can quite throw you.

I had a George, son of Alfred, so the census, family records and his marriage certificate said but his birth certificate does not have a father and his mother is Susannah, Alfred's sister

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast