jackiereasons

Thumbs up METHODIST PREACHERS IN THE NEATH GLAMORGAN AREA

Hi ,
    I wondered if it is possible to obtain a list of Preachers and lay preachers ,from this area ,1780s to 1800s.
    I have been told by family members that my GGG grandmother, was born abt 1791,and that she came from a family of ministers, in this area.I don't know her maiden name,which makes my search difficult. she married a John Edwards.
    Jackie

vic1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jackiereasons View Post
    Hi ,
    I wondered if it is possible to obtain a list of Preachers and lay preachers ,from this area ,1780s to 1800s.
    I have been told by family members that my GGG grandmother, was born abt 1791,and that she came from a family of ministers, in this area.I don't know her maiden name,which makes my search difficult. she married a John Edwards.
    Jackie
    you could try manchester university library they have a speacial collection site which has a list of methodist ministers who haved died whilst in service but it is n't definiteive as my gggrand father is not on it worth a look see.
    theres a nother site which does deal with methiodist women it's american i think it's called the alabaster urn or something like that. I've not had much luck at find about my methodist relatives online you usually need to got to where the circuit records are kept but remember circuits change and merge

Mutley

There is a sticky by Mary Elms. Put Methodism into the search on the blue line above.
    The first thread is:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ight=ministers

It does mention John Edwards but I have no idea if he is yours.

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Hello Jackie,

You're back to early Methodism which only became a denomination in it's own right rather than a revival movement within the Anglican Church in the 1780s and 90s.

Hill's arrangement is a list of ministers - though as Vic1 says, it's not complete. Lay preachers are much more difficult to find. There are good guides here (on the wayback machine) -

https://web.archive.org/web/200707120...st/methol.html

There's a list of libraries with substantial Methodist holdings here -

https://www.forsaith-oxon.demon.co.uk...libraries.html

The link for the The Methodist Archives and Research Centre (MARC) at Manchester University library that Vic1 mentions is here -

https://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/...ons/methodist/

What do you know about this family of ministers? Are they a line of ministers or a family where all the brothers in one generation were ministers? If it was from a line of ministers then you need to see if you can find out whether they were Anglicans, Puritan dissenters, Baptists etc. before becoming Methodist.

The revival was quite a diverse movement (more so than history books often imply) and there were a number of Methodist churches outside of John Wesley's connexion. Also, in the late 1790s and early 1800s Wesley's connexion split into a number of different denominations over issues like the role of ministers and the autonomy of individual congregations. Many of these were united in the late 1800s and early 1900s but there are some which are still independant. When you were tracing the family back to this point were they Methodists and if so, which line did they come down?

Vic1's advice is good. It would be worth finding out as much about Methodism in and around Neath at this time as you can. You might turn up some clues or if you're lucky some evidence.

What do you know about John Edwards? It's a common name in Methodism but an interesting one as well.

Mary.

jackiereasons

Hi Mary
    Thanks for all the links you have given me.
    What I can understand from what some of my family told me, is that they were all in the same family brothers, John Edwards Married into this Family,( Ann ?) He was from Goitre monmouthshire, Their first two children was born in Llanilid ,which looking at the present day map is in the Rhondda,But their mother was said to have come from Tanlan Neath ,I can't find Tanlan,If their is such a place.
    I think I have a long way to go ,to solve this brick wall, I will follow up your links,to see where that takes me.
    Thanks also to the others who have responded to my Queries.
    Jackie

jackiereasons

Yes they were methodists but don't know what line