Thread: occupation

elyam

Question occupation

On the 1901 census I have a 13 year old girl in Northampton giving her occupation as Knot ties (shoe trade). Does any one have any idea. All I could think of was in the early 1900's laces came already knotted for you!!

jeanettemarie

Ive seen the expression shoe ties makers, which refers to ribbons or lace for securing footware, maybe they passed them on along the line for the next person to knot
    Jeanette

MythicalMarian

This might be totally off the wall, but could it not mean that she made a sort of applique bow to be stuck on the front of a shoe? Just a silly thought.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I agree with mythicalmarion!
    www.powerhousemuseum.com here in Sydney, Australia has a large section on shoes and shows many photos and descriptions of shoes from the 1800's and early 1900's.

Many were very elaborate with fancy bows and complicated ties on the front of the shoe.

A thought anyway
    cheers
    Marj.

Reputation beyond repute

If you refer to a census entry, do please provide the full reference so that we can see for ourselves.

I suspect the occupation is meant to be knot tier.

A knot tier laces up the boots or shoes and ties a knot to prevent the boot gaping open while it is being lasted and sewn.