elizabethjones1

Default Coast Guard in Cornwall and Galway 1850 approx

Hi does any one have information on the Harris family who I think came from Falmouth but then William Henry Harris moved on to Galway (May have been born there even) definately Bunowen also Spiddal, Clifden and Ballyconneely Wife Mary? have tried so many Coastguard stes to no avail as yet Eliza.

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethjones1 View Post
    Hi does any one have information on the Harris family who I think came from Falmouth but then William Henry Harris moved on to Galway (May have been born there even) definately Bunowen also Spiddal, Clifden and Ballyconneely Wife Mary? have tried so many Coastguard stes to no avail as yet Eliza.
    Have you tried Coastguards of Yesteryear, it's main focus of interest is Ireland

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/news.php

Whilst they may not have details of your William Harris they do have photos & articles on the stations you mention. They also have more avaialble for registered users, it's free to register.

Geoffers

There are quite a few sources held at The National Archives at Kew
    see their research guide on Coastguards

Many served in the RN prior to joining the Coastguard you can search TNA's catalogue to try and identify them

In the word or phrase field, enter - William Harris
    In the year range, restrict the dates to 1800-1870
    In the department or series code, enter - ADM29

You will find a few hits, one of whom was described as a Coastguard. The name occurs too frequently to say for sure that any of them are yours, but having the references would help you to locate them quickly at TNA. SHould you wish to do so, you can order copies online.

elizabethjones1

Thanks Geoffers
    I have been in that site and found a page of 'William Harris's' just have to do the hard work and match a few dates up!Thanks again Eliza.Ps Host of other info too!!

elizabethjones1

Smile Coastguards of yester year

Quote Originally Posted by suedent View Post
    Have you tried Coastguards of Yesteryear, it's main focus of interest is Ireland

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.org/news.php

Whilst they may not have details of your William Harris they do have photos & articles on the stations you mention. They also have more avaialble for registered users, it's free to register.
    Thank you Suedent for that I have tried them once or twice but will go back to it Regards Eliza