jan55

Default MORLEY and MITCHELL in STEYNING

I have some direct ancestors from Southwick in Sussex with the above surnames. Is anyone else researching them?

Alan Welsford

Hi Jan

Not wishing to sound nit picking, but I used to drive buses to Southwick, and would have been severely reprimanded had I ended up in Steyning.

As I'm sure you know Southwick lies on the coast to the West of Hove and Brighton, whereas Steyning is about 5 miles inland.

It might be worth clarifying where your MORLEY and MITCHELL ancestors are from, or is it both Southwick and Steyning ?

Alan

jan55

I'm going by their birth certificates. They were both born in Southwick which is in the sub-district of New Shoreham in the county of Sussex, registration district Steyning - according to the certified copies of entry of birth from the General Register Office!

If you're interested I'll PM you about an amazing coincidence with these particular ancestors of mine.

Alan Welsford

That's fair enough Jan, and I wasn't trying to give a Sussex resident a lesson on Sussex geography.

Registration districts can be quite large, I know, but I'd go for posting under the actual place(s), (as you had inside the post), rather than the registration district, (as in the heading).

I say this because a huge amount of my ancestry is based in small villages in Bucks, all within the Aylesbury registration district, but all 5 to 10 miles from Aylesbury itself.

The same surnames crop up in the villages, and in Aylesbury proper, but (19th century at least) there appears to be little connection between the two.

So if I contacted Aylesbury researchers, I'd probably find no connection to my tree at all.

Anyway, I did say I was being nit-picking, and you have proved me right

Yes, please PM me your coincidence - I'm intrigued now!

Alan