Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DianaCanada

Mark Antony Lower in A Dictionary of Surnames attributes Jack's origin to James/Jacques. I just see no reason by Jack would have evolved from John - doesn't sound like it, and John doesn't need shortening. It does, however, sound like Jacques.
    A mysterious consonant drift - Polly for Mary, Patty/Patsy for Martha, and Peggy for Margaret - some experts maintain the "m" and "p" were closer in pronunciation hundreds of years ago than they are now, in English (or old English), anyway.

kiwipom

Quote Originally Posted by valbee View Post
    Hi

Please could someone tell me what the name JNO is short for? I found the name in the IGI and not sure if it is a short version of John.

Thanks
    Val
    I have always considered Jno as an abbreviation for Jonathon and a tool whereby the scribe was able write when uncertain whether if he should scribe John or Jonathon.
    Certainly my ancestors in both East Yorkshire and Bedford were often recorded as Jno when they were correctly Jonathon.

My Somerset ancestors baptised John were almost without exception always called Jack.

Just MHO
    Tony (sorry Anthony)

deeree

I also have a Polly in the family, notanotherminer, do you think Polly is a diminutive of Mary or Elizabeth?
    Last edited by deeree; 27-06-2011 at 4:51 AM. Reason: dyslexic keyboard

LittleMissP

My understanding is that Polly is a pet form of Mary Ann.

Jeuel

Polly is a pet form of Mary, as is Molly. But I was led up the garden path by being told my grandmother had an Aunt Polly M. I couldn't find her for yonks. Turns out her name was Emily (Polly Em) but she was called Polly Em because she kept a parrot!

I have an Uncle Jim whose name was not James but Jabez. So you can't always go on recognised abbreviations as a guide to the correct name.

Del 80

Hi, I spent ages looking for my g.mother in Ireland, we were always told her name was Josie, so I looked for Josephine, eventually found her, or rather someone else did, under her real name JOHANNA, I also had a great aunt Mary Anne, always known as POLLY. Regards Del.

Saishus

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissP View Post
    I recently realised why I was getting confused over one section of my tree... There were two daughters of a particular couple- one called Elizabeth and the other Eliza. At first I'd assumed these were the same person and merrily put Elizabeth in all the relevant entries, it was only later on I realised that I now have to transfer Elizabeth's marriage, children, etc, etc across to Eliza.
    I have the same thing! Looking up my Pemble ancestry and there's Jno with sisters Eliza and Elizabeth.

emilyzapata

its weird but i also think that it stands for john...
    bonus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123