Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SUSSEXDER

Question HOW WOULD I FIND A BIRTH IN 1778,PLEASE.

RICHARD NIGHTINGALE.
    BORN ABT, 1778 IN SUSSEX WARNHAM .
    MARRIED 13/9/1811 BRAMLEY SURREY. (TO MARY FRANCES.)
    DIED 18/7/1844.
    Still new to Ancestry, but I believe the Census did not begin till 1841,am
    I correct, so do I have to search Parish Records.? Where ever they are.
    Can anyone help me please.? Thank you.

SUSSEXDER.

Jan1954

Hi Der,

I believe that the Sussex records office is in Lewes and there is a newly opened (within the last couple of years) Family History Centre in Brighton.

As you are on the Sussex coast, I would suggest trundling along to Brighton.

Alan Welsford

You have probably already seen that the IGI lists the following.....

RICHARD NIGHTINGALE
    Male
    Christening: 12 MAY 1782 Warnham, Sussex, England

Parents:
    Father: JOSEPH NIGHTINGALE
    Mother: ELIZABETH

(A bit later than you have, but right location).

The problem with this is that it is NOT a record extracted by the Latter Day Saints from Warnham Parish Registers, but is instead one that could have been user submitted by just about anybody.

Basically you can't trust it until you have looked at the registers yourself, but it might be worth looking at that 1782 entry as a starting point, to see if it checks out.

There's an even earlier baptism of a Richard NIGHTINGALE, in Sussex, which is a "proper" entry extracted from Parish Registers, but from my memory of my time in Sussex, I don't think Binstead is anywhere near Warnham, is it ?

Looking at the dates these guys were born, I do wonder if they might have been brother to Fred NIGHTINGALE, one of my Latin teachers. He always seemed to be about that old

Alan

Edited again to say: Might be born abt 1778, but not baptised until 1782, so this user submitted entry may well check out.
    Last edited by Alan Welsford; 17-02-2008 at 9:28 PM. Reason: Changed "earlier" to "later" when compating 1782 to 1778

Alan Welsford

I just suddenly though to try the British Vital Record Index (BVRI)

This never seems to turn up anything for my own research, but appear to have quite a lot of Sussex records.

Here are three baptisms for your consideration

NIGHTINGALE, Richard Christening
    Christening Date: 29 Nov 1767 Recorded in: Warnham, Sussex, England
    Father: Joseph NIGHTINGALE
    Mother: Elizabeth
    Source: FHL Film 1068527 Dates: 1648 - 1779

Christening Date: 12 May 1782 Recorded in: Warnham, Sussex, England
    Father: Joseph NIGHTINGALE
    Mother: Elizabeth
    Source: FHL Film 1068528 Dates: 1779 - 1840

Christening Date: 19 Feb 1797 Recorded in: Warnham, Sussex, England
    Mother: Judith NIGHTINGALE
    Source: FHL Film 1068528 Dates: 1779 - 1840

The middle one looks like the one you may be after, and may match the IGI user submitted one I posted earlier, (please check - I haven't).

Before you ask the obvious next question...

No, unfortunately the BVRI does not list an appropriate marriage of a Joseph NIGHTINGALE to an Elizabeth. (It looks like the earliest marriages included for Warnham start around 1795).

To be 100% certain it's a "real" entry you must check BVRI data against the original parish register film.

Alan.

Jane M

Me again Sussexder I can confirm the baptismal details that Alan gave you for Richard Nightingale 1782, Warnham, from my fiche of Warnham pr's.
    Strangely I can only see this marriage on the Sussex Marriage Index for Joseph & Elizabeth but it's way too early & very posibly the parents of the first Richard Nightingale that Alan found;

Warnham, West Sussex, 16 Oct 1759:
    Joseph NIGHTINGALE, otp
    Elizabeth THORNES, otp (B)

I'm curious as to your source for the Richard you quoted as born 1778 Warnham, his marriage & death. It would be good to double check the source if we can

A little later today I'll check out the Surrey marriage index to see if the above Joseph & Elizabeth married there.

Jane

SUSSEXDER

Question JANE M./ NIGHTINGALES

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    Me again Sussexder I can confirm the baptismal details that Alan gave you for Richard Nightingale 1782, Warnham, from my fiche of Warnham pr's.
    Strangely I can only see this marriage on the Sussex Marriage Index for Joseph & Elizabeth but it's way too early & very posibly the parents of the first Richard Nightingale that Alan found;

Warnham, West Sussex, 16 Oct 1759:
    Joseph NIGHTINGALE, otp
    Elizabeth THORNES, otp (B)

I'm curious as to your source for the Richard you quoted as born 1778 Warnham, his marriage & death. It would be good to double check the source if we can

A little later today I'll check out the Surrey marriage index to see if the above Joseph & Elizabeth married there.

Jane
    Jane M. The Source came from my Second Cousin in Canada. She sent me all the Nightingales from her Ancestry files. Look this is going to take some sorting out. Can I send you a private message, with my e-mail address..?
    Think I need to get to the bottom of this.
    SUSSEXDER.

SUSSEXDER

Alan, Richards birth from my source says born abt 1778. it say nothing about a christening.The marriage was 13/sept/1811 in Bramley Surrey. wife MARY FRANCES Born abt 1787. Rudgwick Surrey I have nothing on his parents. My cousin in Canada, obviously did not check out that info.
    His son RICHARD was Born abt 1821 ( Marr, 30April, 1853.) DIED, JANUARY 1876. spouse,
    Emily SAYERS. I am trying to digest all you have said, above, so bare with me please. BROTHER SOLOMAN NIGHTINGALE BORN Abt. 1834. is my line. Hope I am not confusing you. ---cause I am confusing myself.
    SUSSEXDER.
    Last edited by SUSSEXDER; 18-02-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to enter a sentence, By SUSSEXDER.

SUSSEXDER

Default NIGHTINGALES ALAN.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSSEXDER View Post
    Alan, Richards birth from my source says born abt 1778. it say nothing about a christening.The marriage was 13/sept/1811 in Bramley Surrey. wife MARY FRANCES Born abt 1787. Rudgwick Surrey I have nothing on his parents. My cousin in Canada, obviously did not check out that info.
    His son RICHARD was Born abt 1821 ( Marr, 30April, 1853.) DIED, JANUARY 1876. spouse,
    Emily SAYERS. I am trying to digest all you have said, above, so bare with me please. (BROTHER SOLOMAN NIGHTINGALE BORN Abt. 1834. is my line .Hope I am not confusing you. ---cause I am confusing myself.
    SUSSEXDER.
    Cont. Soloman and ELIZA. had 6 children.
    EMILY -WILLIAM - ELIZA - MARY ANN, -JAMES - and ALBERT, (ALBERT being my Grandad BORN 18/7/1862 DIED ,1/7/1922 BRIGHTON Sx. Married to ALICE Catherine Caroline BROWN. So thats it really all I know. as of this moment in time. Doe,s this help.?
    SUSSEXDER.

SUSSEXDER

Alan. I think I agree with you, when you said. I quote:
    Might be born abt 1778, but not baptised until 1782, so this user submitted entry may well check out.--UNQUOTE.
    Shall I e-mail her later, and ask her source.?
    SUSSEXDER.

SUSSEXDER

[QUOTE=SUSSEXDER;140686]Jane M. The Source came from my Second Cousin in Canada. She sent me all the Nightingales from her Ancestry files. Look this is going to take some sorting out. Can I send you a private message, with my e-mail address..?
    Think I need to get to the bottom of this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast