Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    I would think they are agreements drawn up between an apprentice & his/her master concerning their board & lodging.
    The boarding agreements mentioned are classified by West Susses RO under "Poor Law Records" and would therefore not appear to be anything to do with apprenticeships.

Poor Law policies changed over the years but these items appear to be agreements to board out certain people as an alternative to accommodating them in the workhouse.

Jane M

Ahhhh, that's a better explanation Peter. I was wondering why it used the term, 'Master' & was under the poor law. Thanks

Jane

Sussexder, no problem.....I hope you give us some more thrilling chases to take part in

Reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say I'm totally certain!

SUSSEXDER

Ahhhh, that's a better explanation Peter. I was wondering why it used the term, 'Master' & was under the poor law. Thanks

Jane

Sussexder, no problem.....I hope you give us some more thrilling chases to take part in
    JANE M.
    Why is it I wonder that I end up with my searches with my family in a workhouse, or the likes of.?
    Very demoralizing. Good Job, I and other half , have had good jobs. To enable us to
    live ,with a roof over our heads, a filled tummy, and warmth and Love.
    Thanks to Peter For enlightening me once again. And especially to you JANE. (HUGS). I have just found two Christenings of Richard and Marys Children (Benjamin,and Charlotte and Marys Parents. EDWARD and SARAH FRANCES, on the christenings .) Freecen would not give me any more. I suppose they have not got as far into transcribing the dates I want. only went so far into alphabet. As I said yesterday even Soloman Nightingale died in the workhouse infirmary. So sad.
    Bye for now. till I can find something else for you.( And I will. No doubt.)
    SUSSEXDER.

suedent

Sussexder if someone developed a serious illness that required expensive medical care then the workhouse was their only hope. If they developed an infectious illness & needed to be isolated then sometimes the workhouse would be the nearest building with the necessary facilities. If an elderly relative developed dementia & the family couldn't afford a private nurse then they would often be admitted to the workhouse. The workhouse was probably a slightly better option than the County Lunatic Asylum.

I have a case where 2 small girls died in the workhouse within a week of each other. The rest of the family was living all together in their own home. Given the number of children that died about the same time it's looks like there was an epidemic of some kind.

The NHS has it's faults but we should remember all the people that suffered and/or died because they couldn't afford to visit the doctor before the NHS was founded.

SUSSEXDER

Quote Originally Posted by suedent View Post
    Sussexder if someone developed a serious illness that required expensive medical care then the workhouse was their only hope. If they developed an infectious illness & needed to be isolated then sometimes the workhouse would be the nearest building with the necessary facilities. If an elderly relative developed dementia & the family couldn't afford a private nurse then they would often be admitted to the workhouse. The workhouse was probably a slightly better option than the County Lunatic Asylum.

I have a case where 2 small girls died in the workhouse within a week of each other. The rest of the family was living all together in their own home. Given the number of children that died about the same time it's looks like there was an epidemic of some kind.

The NHS has it's faults but we should remember all the people that suffered and/or died because they couldn't afford to visit the doctor before the NHS was founded.
    suedent. Hi, Ref; posting above.

Thats why I put "SO SAD".
    SUSSEXDER.

Jane M

Sussexder, I forgot to put this on my last posting. From the Rudgwick pr's transcription;

Baptised 10/6/1787 Mary FRANCIS d/o Edward & Sarah.

This is an excellent site about workhouses; worth putting in your favourites
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/ Enjoy.

Jane

SUSSEXDER

Sussexder, I forgot to put this on my last posting. From the Rudgwick pr's transcription;

Baptised 10/6/1787 Mary FRANCIS d/o Edward & Sarah.

This is an excellent site about workhouses; worth putting in your favourites
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/ Enjoy.

Jane
    Hi JANE M. Thank you so much, dare I ask, what does d/o stands for please. (DER)
    I do have this site, on my favourites, I have found in the past a couple of my Ancesters in the Brighton Workhouse, thats when I first put it on. Is there any chance you could help out on another posting I have already posted , REF: LUSH /FRY in the census. HAMPSHIRE.
    I have spent most of the afternoon on it with no luck.( Excuse the Punn, not intended.) I am doing it for a surprise for my mother-in-law shes 85yrs, and her memory not to good. If you find the time that is, and I will keep searching to.
    (HUGS)
    SUSSEXDER.
    Last edited by SUSSEXDER; 19-02-2008 at 4:51 PM. Reason: SPELLING MISTAKE. DER.

Jane M

d/o means daughter of. I'll go over to the Hants page & have a look,

Jane

SUSSEXDER

d/o means daughter of. I'll go over to the Hants page & have a look,

Jane
    Thanks Jane, Im still looking.
    SUSSEXDER.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast