RPotts

Smile How to locate American GI's locations in UK?

My father was station in England for about 4 months at the end of 1944. I know he was assigned to the 1st Armored Division, 123 Maintenance Ordnance Battalion. They were camped at one point "3 miles east of Tredegar Park, Newport" before he was shipped over to France in December 1944. I would like to find out more information about the area where this was located. I have checked other websites and have gotten a vague referenced to a camp in Caerwent that worked with explosives. But I believe that to be too far north. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks for you help.

jones099

Hi, You are right in thinking Caerwent is wrong location. It is about 10 miles E of Newport whereas Tredegar Park is about 1.5 miles W of Newport and within Newport City boundary. The park is the former homw of Lord Tredegar and the house is open for visits if you are ever over here.
    Hope this helps. Tom

Three miles east of Tredegar Park puts you at Pye Corner on the Marshes.

Not really marshes because they are drained but low lying land close to the Severn Estuary. Pye corner is now a Caravan park for static vans - ooh if you are American I mean a Trailer park where the Trailers are never moved.

I think I read somewhere that this was used for troops during the build up to D day.
    I'll see if I can find where I read it.

Edit:
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=24082

Take a look at this thread because the third or fourth message has a list of camps around newport with the regiments that were in them.
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 20-02-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: found more info
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

jones099

Hello again. Post code for Tredegar Park is NP10 8YW. Using Google Map you can get a satellite view of it. Having looked at US troop bases nr Newport at that time the nearest location to that you mentioned is probably Llanmartin but no record is amde of the regt stationed there.

RPotts

Thank you both for your replies. I guess with so much time gone by, there aren't too many records left of smaller camps. Plus the fact that my dad did not arrive in England until August of 1944, after D-Day. He left at the end of December 1944 to transfer over to France for a brief layover and then on to Germany for the remainder of his duty.

I am in a similiar situation to your cousin, Ladkyis, except I know the GI father. I have only a first name, Eileen, to try and locate the British mother and her son. Calculating that my dad was "hustled" out of England at the end of 1944, I'm trying to find a male child born possibly July/August/September 1945. I am also assuming that he was born in the Newport area. At one point, I found a website that listed the birth registers for the quarterly periods in the UK. I had begun searching in the first quarter of 1945 for any male child born to an Eileen with no father listed. There sure were a lot of Eileen's! This was before I realized that I needed to search the latter part of the year. I have since misplaced the web address. Ah well, the search will continue...

Thank you again for your help. If you come across any more information on the American camps, please let me know.

Roxy

RPotts

Default Corrected information

I have received a copy of some of my father's military records and they show he was with the 123d Ord Am Co (123rd Ordnance Ammunition Co) located at Tredegar Park Newport 3 mi SW V67508. I am not sure what the V67508 is. Any ideas anyone?

The company departed Tredegar Park the morning of Dec 28, 1944 via rail to Southampton, England. They left Southampton on Dec 30, 1944 onboard the USAT Excelsior for LeHavre, France.

If anyone has any information or memories of US troops in this area outside of Tredegar Park I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading!

Roxy Potts

tedbeard

Default Americans in UK

Hi Roxy, I can remember the troops massing in Southampton during the war, I was 11 years old at the time, and my father was a Crane Driver there and he always said that you could walk from the docks to the Isle of Wight, 12 miles away in the Solent, on the ships and landing craft berthed at the time, you may like to have a look at this website

https://www.plimsoll.org/Southampton/.../default.asp#3

I hope the link works if not let me know and I will find another way to get it to you

Happy hunting Ted