maufleury

Default Please look up my grandmother for me????

Hi, I'm from Canada and researching my maternal grandmother and her family. Her name was Nellie Earle and she was born in 1890 at Uckfield, Sussex-Lewes. Could someone check a parish register for her baptism? I think her parents' names were Edward and Nellie Earle as that is the information my grandmother provided on her Canadian marriage certificate. On the 1891 UK census, she is found living with an aunt and uncle by the names of John and Mary Alcorn. I don't know how the Alcorn name is tied in either. The Alcorns resided in Isfield at the time of the census. As for her birth certificate, I have ordered 2 certificates and both were wrong so I'm sort of hesitating on ordering again until I'm positive. Thank you SO much!!!

SBSFamilyhistory

Hi maufleury

Have you tried this one? Name, albeit a different spelling, date and place of birth fit.

Name: Nellie Earl
    Year of Registration: 1890
    Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
    District: Uckfield
    County: Sussex, East Sussex
    Volume: 2b
    Page: 134

If you have tried this one then have you considered that although she was known as Nellie, and other documents show her as Nellie, this may not have been the name recorded on her birth certificate.

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maufleury View Post
    I have ordered 2 certificates and both were wrong
    I would have said that the reference found by Sue is worth following up.

But I wonder what it is about the certificates that you ordered that makes them 'wrong'. (I'm not getting at you - this is a question we all have to ask ourselves when we get certificates)

For example, I wouldn't advise discounting a birth certificate purely because the father isn't shown as Edward.

I hope you'll let us know what the certificate says when it turns up.

busyglen

Just a thought....my mother was always known as Nellie, but the name on her birth certificate and baptism was Ellen.

Glenys

Geoffers

This thread duplicates others, so it has been closed. Please see this thread
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=26220
    to view the currednt state of the enquiry.