Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bwskog

Default Roger Gourd

I discovered what I believe is the father of Roger a William Gourd(e) of Barcombe, Yeoman (I have no clue what this means) I also have the year 1596 as a birth and then under that 1619 and a Thomas Gourd(e). Dang did not take very good notes in this area because I thought it was a dead end.

Walter Haynes has six children: Sufferance, Josiah, Thomas, Mary, John and Elizabeth (I believe she was the eldest and the only one married at the time of their crossing to America)married to Roger G.

If Fortune Hayne is related she would have to be the Child of either John or William Hayne if it is the brother or cousin. These two fellows are the elder brothers of Walter Haynes.

Ffortune

Hi
    Ffortune Hayme married William Gourd 17.10.1626 Donhead St Mary, Wilts which is 3 miles from Shaftesbury (source Bishops Transcripts). She was buried in Donhead St Andrew in 1686. A good number of the marriages in Donhead St Mary say that 1 or more parties are from Shaston (ie Shaftesbury)
    So far I have not found Ffortune's christening. In Donhead Andrew there are 2 christenings for Haymes, Ursula 1590 & Grace 1627. Grace is d William, so it is possible that Ffortune is connected to them.
    I would estimate Ffortunes birth as circa 1600-1606. Gillingham , Dorset has 3 Haymes Edward 1580, Johanna, 1584 & Susannah 1606 again a possible family

In terms of Sutton, Wilts has Sutton Benger, Sutton Mandeville, Sutton Veny & Sutton Waldron.
    Could Sudbury be Studley which is in Wilts?
    regards Ffortune

Ffortune

Hi
    I would expect Yeoman in this context to mean a farmer who owned their land as distinct from one who farmed land owned by the manor. ie Freehold rather than Copyhold land
    regards Ffortune

SloopJB

Smile Haynes West Knoyle and Norton Bavant

I was interested to see the name Haynes.

I have traced my family tree back to Edward Haynes of the parish of West Knoyle and Mary Troubridge of Norton Bavant who were married 21 Jan 1765, witnesses were Joseph Trowbridge and Thomas Clift.

Please can anyone add any further information such as the possible parents of this couple ?

Is there a connection with your families discussed above ?

SloopJB

JFPriest

Default Will of Alice Haynes, Mother of Walter Haynes

For those of you with an Ancestry.com account you can find a transcription of the will of Alice Haynes at:
    https://
    search.ancestry.com/Browse/BookView.aspx?dbid=48087&pageno=941
    https://
    search.ancestry.com/Browse/BookView.aspx?dbid=48087&pageno=942
    These links are to images of pages 941 and 942 comprised of an article titled Will of Alice Hayne, 1620 of Semley, Eng. Communicated by D. F. Haynes, Esq., Baltimore, Md. in the book "English Origins of New England Families, From The New England Historical and Genealogy Register, Second Series Vol. II" published in Baltimore Maryland by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 1985.
    Library of Congress Catalogue Card Number 84-81872
    International Standard Book Number, Volume II: 0 8063 1093 6 Set Number 0 8063 1091 X

The author states "This will is written on one page of one leaf folio paper, not signed. It is preserved among the Salisbury Wills, P. P. C. London (Archdeaconry of Sarum). Dated 2d March 1620-1: proved by Walter Hayne the Exr, 2d March, 1623-4."

The author of the article also states "Semley is a parish in Wiltshire, four and three-fourths mile from Hindon (S. by W.) and about the same distance E. N. E. from Shaftsbury or Shaston in Dorsetshire, and in the vicinity of Sutton Mandeville and Wardour Castle."

bwskog

JF Priest...........oooooh you have sparked my interest to start looking again. Wonderful information thanks so much!

JFPriest

Were you able to open the links from Ancestry.com?
    jp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12