bamagirl

Default Innholder White Hart Inn Ringwood Hants

I found an entry today in the Hampshire Record Office Archives Catalogue that makes reference to my 5x gr-grandfather John Travers including an extract of his will dated 1829, which I will be ordering soon.

Owners and occupiers include:... ...John Travers of Ringwood, innholder, (1817); John Travers, jun. of Abingdon, gent. (1829)...

The question I have is... is there a difference between an innholder and an innkeeper?

I know John, sr was involved with another inn near Minstead in the New Forest prior to this position, the name escapes me at the moment. The area sounds lovely. Another potential stop on the "Reverse Ancestral Immigration Tour."

-Barb

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I once thought an Innholder to be perhaps the man who held the license of the inn/hotel & an innkeeper possible a manager etc. but googling says they are one & the same. These days anyway.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Coromandel

The Oxford English Dictionary has this definition of innholder:

'= INNKEEPER n.'

and this one for innkeeper:

'One who keeps an inn or public house for the accommodation of travellers and others; an innholder, a taverner.'

Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
    The area sounds lovely. Another potential stop on the "Reverse Ancestral Immigration Tour."
    You could even stay at the White Hart, if it's the one now called the 'Original White Hart':

https://www.
    originalwhitehartpub.co.uk/

bamagirl

Thanks for that link. I was hoping for more photos, but I see they have lots of specials on drinks!

Perhaps someday.
    -Barb

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
    Thanks for that link. I was hoping for more photos, but I see they have lots of specials on drinks!

Perhaps someday.
    -Barb
    I wonder if this could help provide a flavour of the day?

bamagirl

Gee, Jan. If the currency conversion rates were more favorable, I'd be sorely tempted. I just dropped 20 GBP on some page view credits, so my budget is blown at the moment. Thanks, though.

-Barb